JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving Dog from the US to Germany: Experiences please

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Germany.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: Moving Dog from the US to Germany: Experiences please

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:23 am

You're too kind! OK, sorry, I'll let you get on with your discussion!

Cheers,

Jamie

Expat Focus
Web: www.expatfocus.com
Twitter: twitter.com/ExpatFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/expatfocus

Jamie
Expat Focus Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

What is required to bring a dog into th EU (Germany) from the US. I have a friend who had to leave her dog behind at the airport becuase he hadn't been chipped. She's been waiting for almost 6 months for the paper work but they won't tell her what it is that she is waiting for. As far as I know the dog only needs to be chipped and have current shots. There is no waiting period or anything. Unlike the UK they have never asked for our dogs papers and I've flown with her many times

thanks

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:20 pm

I didn't realize that a dog needed blood test coming into Germany, In 7 years of traveling I've never been asked for her paper work, much less a blood test, but I guess there is always a first.

We always travel with in anyways just in case.

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:37 am

I never heard about any blood tests either. I did find out in the meantime that the our dog's microchip, a Home Again brand, is ISO compliant and should be compatible with German standards.

NCtoRstein

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:12 pm

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. You do not need a blood test for your pet to travel from the US to Germany however, you do, if you want to take your pet into the UK, something I especially asked my vet about yesterday.

Here is a story of my experiences getting my dog to Frankfurt..
My Vet in Miami wanted to fill out some paperwork or another (I can't remember which one) which included a provision for verifying blood test results and a crtification that he was fit to travel which I would have had to have then taken to get notarised and stamped in some US government department located next to Miami Airport on a road that runs parallel to NW36th St and pay around $40-$50 dollars for the privilige plus around $80 dollars from the vet. Since he already had a German Heimtier-Ausweis(Pet Passport), I insisted that all the US paperwork was not required, which eventually I was proved correct on. I simply had his passport stamped in the back that he was fit to travel and certified OK for being acclimatised for temperatures between 20 and 40 degrees faranheit (only needed for domestic US travel) since I flew first to Detroit and then New York in the height of that last big snow storm to hit NY. The airlines were perfectly happy with this form of documentation.

On arrival in Frankfurt, the customs gave only a minimal and cursory glance at the passport because it originated in Germany, they only checked the section for current Rabies vaccinations. They did not even check the Microchip. Ticks and Worm treatments were not necessary. However, I cannot say what would have happened if I had only the US export forms, but I would imagine that as long as your pet had a current vaccination, it would also have been OK.

I shopped around long and hard for good prices. The only airline I found that would accept small dogs in the Cabin for Trans-Atlantic flights (He's a small Yorkie), was NWA, but the price was through the roof. The best price I could find for Pet Cargo, was Singapore Airlines, flying from New York to Frankfurt. They took good care of him. Wheres Delta maltreated the handling of him on an internal flight - I directly witnessed this myself looking out the departure lounge when arrived at the loading point. Poor dog was badly bounced around and the water that I had given him in the dish soaked the bedding in the kennel and was all but gone. I had to complain and get it refilled again.

---------

Just an update here.. I had my pooch re-vaccinated yesterday and he was given a new batch of vaccine "Enduracell*-T" from Pfizer. Recently, this new batch of vaccine is now recognised to be effective for three years in Germany and most EU states. There are some that don't yet recognise this and my vet could not be more specific which of those states were.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Simmi on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simmi

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Oh, yes, I forgot... You will still need to continue medication for diseases such as Heartworm for a couple of months, so think about bringing adequate supplies along. Heartworm and other US specific treatments are not available in the EU, so plan to get your dogs traetments topped up before hand.

Simmi

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy