±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Find the best health insurance provider or foreign currency transfer specialist by comparing free quotes

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners
Become a Partner. Click Here.

Advice for dual passport

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Spain.
Subforums: Property for Sale/Rent

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Advice for dual passport

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Forgive me if this question is a bit ignorant but I’m extremely new to this subject and all the information I see is so jumbled. I am 1st generation Canadian, mother is from Spain and I’m 43. I should point out that my mother has property and a house in Spain and in future when she passes away the house will be in my name and my sisters name and I will be paying property taxes there, etc. I was told that after 18 it is too late to apply for a Spanish passport but I have met several ppl in their 30s 40s who have obtained it. What is the first step going forward in this? Will a trip to the Spanish embassy help me? I am going to Spain in a month for 2 weeks so I wanted to research as much as I can so if I need information from there it will handy. Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated.


Re: Advice for dual passport

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:02 pm

If your mother is a citizen of Spain, then it seems to me that you are too, according to Title one, article 17 of the Civil Code. And if you are a citizen, I'd be surprised if you would have any problem getting a DNI and a passport.

But even if you enter without them, with your Canadian passport, you are still entitled to ninety days, which should be plenty of time to obtain all the other documentation you need. It would probably make it a bit easier if your mother would go along, with all the proof that she is a citizen and that she is your mother. And for that matter, the nearest embassy or consulate can probably arrange everything, too, but two months may be short notice.


Wes Groleau
Happy Hobo


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Page 1 of 1

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

Bupa Global is one of the world’s largest international health insurers. We offer direct access to over 1.2m medical providers worldwide, and we settle directly with them so you don’t have to pay up front for your treatment. We provide access to leading specialists without the need to see your family doctor first and ensure that you have the same level of cover wherever you might be, home or away.

Cigna International

Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.