JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

A question re moving to Portugal.

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Portugal.
Subforums: Property for Sale/Rent, 2nd Hand Items for Sale/Wanted

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

A question re moving to Portugal.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 am

We need to have a good internet connection, is this possible inland midway up the country? Anyone live there who can help? I'm thinking round Beira Baixa or similar. What is the Internet like in general in Portgal?

I'm getting excited, we're coming soon for a holiday just to look around, so targeting places that we think we would like to live.

rascale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: A question re moving to Portugal.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Internet varies immensely not only from area to area but also by exact location.

We're in a village that has just 22 permanent residents in the central zone & get brilliant fibre optic internet that's close to 100 Mbps & they recently offered us 200 Mbps but less than 1 km away they don't get much more than dial up speeds & the only way to beat that is to use a My Fi mobile hotspot or Tooway satellite internet.

That said, those last two options mean you should be able to get at least a half decent connection in most locations but they might not be up to fibre optic speeds.

travelling-man
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the information.

rascale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 pm

I live in a remote area in central Algarve and have no telephone line. I rely on a 3G connection for Internet (which is used extensively) and a mobile phone (converted to a fixed telephone) for my telephone (all national calls are free and it costs less than €12 per month). Both are excellent though the Internet is not good enough for Television (not that I would opt for this solution in any case).

rodstocker
Forum Leader - Portugal
Forum Leader - Portugal

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy