JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Thailand, need advice

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Moving to Thailand, need advice

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:24 am

Hello,
Can anyone help with reliable information about the following?:
1. Getting a few belongings to Thailand (just 2 or 3 medium boxes) the cheapeast way. I will be moving to Railei Beach (Krabi province, but only reachable by boat, though just a quick 5 minute boat ride from the mainland side).

2. Can I take the mobile phone I'm using in the States and sign up with a Thai company and just switch out the SIM card to use the same phone?

3. Is there an international bank where I can use the same bank in Thailand and in the States?

Tough questions, probably will need someone who's done this before.. are you out there? Thank you!

peridot

Re: Moving to Thailand, need advice

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:44 pm

1. The cheapest way with your belonging with no fragile, I would recommend you to use DHL, FEDEX services. It is almost Door to Door service. As i am working in the moving company, i know the minimum charge if you send by Air is high and mean that you need to connect o Krabi too. By sea, require minimum around 4 cbm. out of question.
2. There are many shops that can help u that. Especially in MBK shopping center in Bangkok. It is the biggest center to modify mobile phone.
So i believe that Krabi with all tourists should be no problem.
3. Western Bank is quite popular for transfer money. We also have Citibank, Standard Chartered Bank, But I m not sure if there is any branch in Krabi. The popular bank in Thailand are Kasikorn Bank, Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank. I think you can ask your bank in US about their connection here.

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Hello khunsee,
Thanks for your help. I did check DHL, and for 2 boxes they want to charge me $500 USD! Anyway, maybe I'll just have to pack light and see if I can take "extra baggage" on China Airlines.
Now, if I could just magically learn the language....!

peridot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Some tips for your move:1. No need to bring winter clothes. No winter down the south of Thailand. Only summer and rainy season. 2. you should bring some good quality shoes that fit. either casual or formal. Shoes' quality in Thailand are not so great. If yes, it will be expensive. For women in particular, large shoes sizes (40plus) are difficult to find. 3. Even though Thailand has many clothes shops and cheap price, however the local sizes are generally too small. It is advisable to stock up on shoes, socks, underwear and swimwear. 4. Electrical power in Thailand is 220 volts and if you bring appliance from overseas, you may need an adaptor and/or transformer. DVD/VCD players & hi-fi & television and other household appliance are reasonable price. 5. Sport equipment: most sport gear is available, but equipment for international and speciality sports may not be available.
Good luck for your move!
Khunsee

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:59 pm

Quick note regarding the bank: I've had to send wire transfer payments from my local bank in the States to Bangkok Bank. One of the things which made it easier is that Bangkok Bank actually has a "local" branch in New York City.

Thus, the transfers were, for all intents and purposes, made from one US bank to another US bank.

I'm hoping to possibly leverage this later to do seamless (read: cheap) cash transfers using PayPal. They usually charge extra fees if you're transferring money between different banks internationally. However, I haven't really gotten hip-deep into the details, so YMMV.

Other Thai banks may also have such branches in the US, for purposes of conducting international business. It's worth investigating, IMNSHO, as it could save a few hassles.

-- glitch.@#$%!

_

glitch

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:13 pm

Thanks for these notes khunsee and glitch.

glitch-- citbank is in bangkok and new york. but, you may have the same issue as me, which is finding a branch in your town. citibank would be great, but i'm pretty sure there's no branch in krabi. not sure about hua hin, but guessing not.

i'll check into bangkok bank. most branches i've seen in krabi seem to be bank of ayuttaya.
and yes! paypal would be perfect.... i know you can get a foreign currency account as a foreigner, and then the funds are always us dollars and could be transferred to paypal with no conversion. but, it also depends who you're working for and how you get paid, etc.

anyway, if you can think of any other helpful details, i'd appreciate it.
thanks!

Peridot Green Sunny

peridot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Bummer regarding Citibank. I just checked the sites for both Bank of Ayutthaya and Siam Commercial (another bank I see around most often) and neither of them seem to have much of an international presence -- only Hong Kong, Singapore, and Ventiane in both cases.

I was actually kinda coming at it from the other way around, too. I'm using Bank of America, which, like Citibank, allows you to do almost anything you could possibly need to do online. So, I figured I could manage everything with the US bank across the Net, but would only really need to work out getting the funds transferred into whichever Thai bank where I had my local account. Everything else could be managed in person at my local branch.

Can't tell if Bangkok Bank has a branch down in Krabi (although they advertise that they've got "over 600 branches in the major cities of every province"). Weird: I can use their website to look up exactly where every foreign branch is located, but they don't have exact locations for any of their branches in Thailand. Go figure...

-- glitch.@#$%!

_

glitch

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy