JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Abu Dhabi - Advice on License and Vehicle

Discussion forum for expats living in Middle Eastern countries not listed elsewhere.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving to Abu Dhabi - Advice on License and Vehicle

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Oman to Abu Dhabi, UAE. I would appreciate if anyone would be able to advise me on the following:

1) I have a driving license issued by the Oman Traffice Police - the ROP. Would I be able to convert it to the Abu Dhabi, UAE driving licence without giving any tests?

2) I have a car registered in Oman. It is brand new and I dont intend to sell it. I prefer taking it with me to Abu Dhabi instead. Has anyone in the forum gone through the procedure before and would anyone help me on what is involved. My knowledge is only limited to the facts that i will have to cancel my registration and get export plates....How about the registration in abu dhabi? border check post requirements?

I look forward to any advice on the above...

Thanks and have a great day!

spawn

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - Advice on License and Vehicle

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:37 am

Hi Spawn,

Can't help with much here, as I have no idea about the Oman licence and export, but the latest rules from the UAE side can be found on the AD Police proceedures sections on licencing - link below.

www.adpolice.gov.ae/en/?T=2&ID=5

I had a vehicle brought over from KSA last year on export plates when I changed contracts to Abu dhabi - Pretty well hassle free in my experience, (but then everything in the UAE seems hassle free after saudi eh?) Once residency was sorted, an abu dhabi licence was issued based on showing an international licence, (they wouldn't accept my old paper UK licence but they accepted my KSA licence for some reason) Needed the UAE driver licence issued and insurance certificate and the usual employers no objection before I could register the vehicle.

Great service though, they do everything in one place - the licence cards, registration cards, vehicle testing, paperwork and even making and fitting the number plates, (insurance providers, translations services, photocopying and ID Photo stands all onsite too in the same facility) - the "licencing section" signposted 15 minutes out of town, down 4th street in Maroor.

Good luck with the move

youngandfoolish
Forum Leader - UAE
Forum Leader - UAE

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy