JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Buying house in Southeast Asia

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Buying house in Southeast Asia

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Hello,

I would like to buy some small house in South East Asia, and I would like to ask where are the best conditions. Is it anywhere not allowed for foreigners to buy a house, or are there some countries where it is easier than in Thailand? I like also Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia. I wanted to buy something in Thailand but its every year more restrictive there, so I would like to ask about the conditions in other countries.
Thanks

John3645

Re: Buying house in Southeast Asia

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:08 pm

Hi John,
I have just met up with an old friend who is just home from Phillipines for a holiday. He has bought a property there and says that not only is it much easier than Thailand but very much cheaper. If you need to know any more let me know , i will ask him for you.

HappyD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:48 am

Hi HappyD,

thanks for your information, I would like to know more details if possible. I was last year there, and the differences are much bigger then in Thailand. Manila is 5 times more expensive then the rest. I hope I could find there some nice place, which is not expensive, but not too far away from civilization. I dont want to stay in a city, but there must be something like BigC and also internet.

Thanks
John

John3645

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:32 pm

If we are talking houses (ie house & land) v condo, Malaysia is way in front? Excluding Penang, I recollect that there is a minimum purchase price RM150,000 under the 2nd home program (& you may borrow from the bank). Thailand - foreigners cannot own land unless certain rather difficult requirements are met.

mahatma

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy