JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Germany

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Germany.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving to Germany

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:48 am

Hi there,

I would like to know if I would move to live in Germany do I need to work there or can I just live of my own money and pay the regular taxes?

tbraam

Re: Moving to Germany

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:14 am

that's a pretty general question? Why would you want to move to germany?

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 am

I'm still looking around to move to one European country to live. My family lives just across the border of Germany. But I found out Belgium is cheaper to live. And probably nicer. I have lived in Dubai for 8 years and am fed up. Wanna go back to Europe. Just don't feel I wanna live in Holland just yet. Any suggestions r welcome!

tbraam

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:31 pm

alot depends of your job situation skills and money. Prettty much everywhere has high unemployement.

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:06 am

As an EU citizen, you can live in any EU country. You will have to register at the AUSLAENDERBEHOERDE after 3 months. Should!
www.german-embassy.org...istration'

Paying taxes? you have to pay if you work.

Health insurance? Make sure you are covered somewhere. In Germany, the doctor will ask you for your card from the KRANKENKASSE. No card? you have to pay. Some doctors are not set up for cash customers, so you have another problem.

There is an AUSLAENDER REPRESENTATIVE in most cities (elected by the international community) who can help you out with these problems before you actually do any paperwork. S/he is on your side.

Barbara

bak_world

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi I've lived here in Germany for six years: I'm being released Friday LOL.
My wife is german,reason enough to stay,but otherwise I would have left much sooner.
My advice for what it's worth is:live up north,much friendlier people.Learn the language to a high standard(high german),even though some people will pretend not to understand.Try to find a friend,this is one lonley place for an auslander.Develop a very thick skin.Watch your weight(great cakes).Get used to people staring!
Plus side:it's not England.Wonderful country side.
Europe:Spain,France,Holland anywhere but here.
Sorry to be negative but thats how I feel.
Kevin Good luck.

Galli

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy