JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Germany

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Germany.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving to Germany

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi
I am an Australian living in Dubai and Feb next year we are moving to Nurnberg/Erlangen, Germany. I am very apprehensive as I do not speak German (although I do plan on trying to learn some basics before I go). I have been there before for a week and found no English speaking people. Is there anyone who knows of any expat groups there that I can contact? My husbands role means he travels the world and I will be left behind while he goes. We have a dog so my travel with him is a little hard. Would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks

sadsue

Re: Moving to Germany

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:46 pm

Don't worry, I've lived here for 11 years and can say that most germans speak excellent English. They may say that can't speak well but that's is only because they can't speak it perfectly. You will be pretty hard pressed to find a German who speaks no English at all.
Relax Smile

larryschatz

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:04 pm

can't really agree with larry....
but i wouldn't worry all that much- there used to be an army base in nürnberg so the people there do speak better english than elsewhere. erlangen is a nice university city- a lot of students, so i don't think you'll have too many problems there either...and i doesn't matter where you go, if people notice you're trying to make an effort to learn/speak the language, they'll be happy to help you!!

luckyNL

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 pm

Hello,
other opportunity is to find some international church, normaly there are some language lessons for foreigners! Don't forget, you are not alone!!!
My experience is that many of the German people can speak English(somehow) Cool .

Don't worry, be happy!!!

forget-me-nott
bgcp.biz

www.bulgariancoastalproperties.com

forget-me-nott
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:28 am

Hey sadsue,

I just moved to Erlangen from Dubai in November and it is really not so bad. My hubby was globe trotting when we were in Dubai and now he takes care of things from Germany and so I am just loving it here. Peaceful, quite, beautiful scenery, we take long walks. I will be around when you come to Erlangen I will be around and please don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

Alexis

jeaninealexis

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy