JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Romania

Discussion forum for expats living in European countries not listed above.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Moving to Romania

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:16 am

Hello all my family is moving to Brasov Romania about mid-March. I am hoping to meet some people, make some friends and ask a lot of questions. My husband has been offered a nice job there and we were already looking for a change. I am very excited about this move, this move is our first outside Tennessee, USA and our first trip overseas. I have been told a lot of very good things about Brasov and about Romania in general. The only thing I don't quite understand is about taking our DVD/VCR and playstation with us. If we buy the outlet adapters will they still work? I am also a little concerned about money there, I was told that 1,300 US dollars a month will be more than enough but I am used to that not even coming close to supporting a family of 4 here. I would love to get to know some people who live there and can help me get ready to face the world in a new country.

Thanks
Jennifer

daileyjoy

Re: Moving to Romania

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Jennifer,
Your DVD/VCR and playstation will work but you will need an adaptor and a transformer. Also, the DVDs are coded region 2 over here so you won't be able to play any new ones you may purchase. I would recommend leaving them and buying a new DIVX player here. They are cheap and you should be able to find a multi region one that will play both US and European DVDs. I don't know if the playstation is coded or not. The new Wii is so doublecheck it. I would bring it.

$1,300 will be tight. Most rents are higher than that. Again, I am only familiar with Bucharest which is higher but still...Is rent taken care of by the company?

SloJan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Family of 4? what are you intending to do about schooling? The Romanian system is very didactic. Children sit and listen then regurgitate what they have heard.
Moneywise, like Slojan I only know about Bucharest and my 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200 per month just for the rent.
Otherwise I suppose outside of the capital things are cheaper. The language is very difficult and no mistakes in pronunciation are tolerated by the locals.
On the plus side the country itself is VERY beautiful and as you will be living out in the country you should enjoy the magnificent landscape.
Good Luck!

sefaela
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Jeniffer,

Please note that we can assure you that the move can be done without any hassle for all your household goods and personal effects if you will contact our company and will be chosing the only careful mover in the world, Allied Pickfords.

Theo

TheodorPOPA

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:08 am

So Jennifer how did it go?

Interested to find out if you managed and are happy with your choice?

What happened about schools?

sefaela
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:48 am

Well it went quite well. We arrived May 1 st and are getting settled in and trying to figure out all the little things that make Romania different such as no dryers and taxis. I am also wondering about refiling my medication. I have 2 american perscriptions and was wondering how to go about refiling them. Do I need to find a dr or just go to the pharmacy.

daileyjoy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:28 am

Hi there !

I'm moving from Connecticut to Romania in Oct/Nov. My husband, who is French is on a long-term business contract in Pitesti, Romania & I'm finally going over there to be with him. I have no idea where to start ~ I'm a teacher and will have to start the school year (teach a couple of months) and then move. Also, I have 2 cats that will be going with me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!! I'm starting to panic because i don't know what to do or what to expect.

Thanks !

Colleen

Colleen

reinecol

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy