JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Info on Hua Hin? Feel free to ask!

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Info on Hua Hin? Feel free to ask!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Hello there, folks Very Happy

I know that Hua Hin hasn't had much coverage here but just in case there's anyone out there interested in visiting/moving/retiring to Hua Hin, feel free to drop me a line. I've lived in Hua Hin for almost 2 years now & have already compiled a few websites to publicise my hometown.

For those poor souls who don't know Hua Hin, it's Thailand's oldest seaside resort, the semi-permanent residence of the Thai King, & the home of Thailand's oldest golf club. Located just 225km south of Bangkok -- & a million miles from the gridlock & congestion of 'the big mango'!

So if you'd like to know more -- who you gonna call?

Don't be shy Wink

Hua Hin, Thailand -- where Quality of life is not just an empty phrase! huahin.tk/

Troopie

Re: Info on Hua Hin? Feel free to ask!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 am

HELLO TROOPIE...

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME INVITE TO ASK QUESTIONS.
HERE'S ONE.... MY WIFE WILL BE THE 'OWNER' OF THE PROPERTY
WE PURCHASE, WHEN WE PURCHASE; AS SHE IS THAI.
HER ONE WORRY IS- WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE PROPERTY IF
SHE PASSES AWAY BEFORE I DO (WE ARE MARRIED 38 YEARS).
OUR GROWN KIDS HAVE THAI PASSPORTS, I OF COURSE DON'T.

ANY THOUGHTS?
THANKS,
LAWN

LAWNMULLER

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:36 am

Hello there

Thanks for the message & the interesting question.

From what I know & have heard, your best bet would be to draw up a will, leaving the property to your children. That way, your wife's death would not interfere with your home -- unless you really upset your kids! However, I shall look into this situation & try to verify that advice.

However, with the boys in Bangkok changing the anti-foreign laws every time the wind blows, who knows what the situation will be in the future? Seems like a good reason for keeping your good lady fit & well for as long as possible!

Anyway, if my research brings up any differing or relevant info, I'll post it.

All the best

Philip
(Troopie@huahinjapan.com)

Hua Hin, Thailand -- where Quality of life is not just an empty phrase! huahin.tk/

Troopie

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 pm

HI Troopie,

I 've just spent 7 months travelling 3 of them in Thailand. I'm 32 and from the u.k. and really liked Hua Hin so much so that i even wondering about the idea of moving there. Any advise on what i could do to make a living, visas, renting somewhere to live, the change in life style, learning Thai or any thing else you can think of.

ALL THE BEST LOOK FORWARD TO HEAR ANY ONES POINTS OF VIEW

JARMAN

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:50 am

- JARMAN

HI Troopie,

I 've just spent 7 months travelling 3 of them in Thailand. I'm 32 and from the u.k. and really liked Hua Hin so much so that i even wondering about the idea of moving there. Any advise on what i could do to make a living, visas, renting somewhere to live, the change in life style, learning Thai or any thing else you can think of.

I don't blame you for being interested in HH -- I moved here almost 3 years ago & have no plans to move. I suggest you look at the various information pages linked with huahinjapan.com/english/home.html, which should give you some basic answers. If after reading those pages you still have questions, just let me know -- by pm or whatever. OK?

All the best Wink

Troopie

Troopie

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:17 am

As soon as I sell my house I am going to give Thailand a year long

try out. I have only stayed in BKK, and Pattaya/ Jomtien. How does

the cost of living compare in Hua Hin ? I hope to try a few places out,

Udon Thani, Rayong, do you think a week in each place would be

long enough.

Thanks

whittler

whittler

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:56 am

- whittler

As soon as I sell my house I am going to give Thailand a year long

try out. I have only stayed in BKK, and Pattaya/ Jomtien. How does

the cost of living compare in Hua Hin ? I hope to try a few places out,

Udon Thani, Rayong, do you think a week in each place would be

long enough.

Thanks

whittler

Hello there

I'll try to help as much as I can. Laughing

HH is certainly cheaper than the places you mentioned (& Phuket), although it is more expensive than some smaller Thai towns & resorts, due to it being a tourist place. Prices have risen in the time I've been here but due to the fact that most of our tourists are still Thais, prices haven't reached the level of the 'foreign ghettos'.

Would a week in each place be enough? Hard to say. I mean, if you came here & it rained all week, then it wouldn't be enough. See what I mean? All I can tell you is that when my wife & I were searching for a place to settle, we started in the south & moved up. We tried Khao Lak (too remote), Phuket (too foreign), Cha Am (too small), & then we reached HH & stopped searching. We were only here a few days before we decided. By the time we caught the sleeper train to Penang (which we had been considering but didn't), we were already planning the move. I haven't regretted it so far.

For me, HH is small enough to be friendly but big enough to be convenient; Thai enough not to feel like a foreign ghetto (like Phuket & Pattaya) but foreign enough to make survival that much easier. However, different strokes for different folks. If you're looking for excitement or 'action' Wink , then HH isn't the place. However, if you're looking for relaxation, reasonably close to Bangkok & a growing foreign community, maybe HH is.

Ask again if you need any more info Rolling Eyes

Troopie

Troopie

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy