Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners
Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Andorra - Social Security

Andorra has not signed a double taxation agreement with the UK or any other nation, therefore the pension rights etc., of anyone leaving the United Kingdom, or other country, to reside in Andorra, are subject to current laws and any subsequent amendments dealing with taxation and annual increments. In some cases it is possible to commute pensions and reinvest in off-shore gilts etc. so as to establish a non-taxable position. Andorra operates a social security system which covers: hospitalisation, dental care, medical consultations, treatment and the cost of prescriptions. There is also an index-linked pension. However, please note that new residents must have a private health plan and are not able to join the pension scheme.

Regrettably this service is not available to "passive" residents (non-employed). New residents must have Private Medical Insurance such as PPP or BUPA.

To qualify to join C.A.S.S. (caixa Andorran de Seguretat Social) applicants must be under the age of 60 and either an Andorran citizen or "resident" in Andorra under work contract, or children of residents, in order to join the C.A.S.S. scheme. It is obligatory for all workers under contract to join the C.A.S.S.

After application there is a 3 month period before one can use the system. Dependents can be registered after the 3 month period but there is then a 40 day period before they can use the system.

Children are counted as dependents up to the age of 18. For those children who are still students after the age of 18 a photocopy of a certificate of attendance issued by the education centre must be submitted to the C.A.S.S. at the start of each scholastic year. This allows the student continued cover under the contributing parent up to the age of 25.

Dependents are automatically registered for medical cover under this scheme but for pension rights they must apply separately. The minimum contribution is 214.50 Euros per month.

Documents required

Comú registration certificate
CASS forms in triplicate completed
Marriage certificate - for dependents
Work contract

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy