±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.


Argentina - Visas

You need a visa or work permit to live, study or work in Argentina. This application process takes a lot of time because of the bureaucracy involved. Therefore, it is important to make arrangements for your visa a long time before you make your travel plans. Work or study visas need to be initiated by your institution or employer. It is common to experience delays with the Argentinian authorities.

Moving to Argentina is considered a big step by many expats. Visas can be obtained from the Argentinian Embassy or consulate before traveling. Common documents required to apply for a visa include: a completed application form, round trip ticket, four passport photos in standard size, an application fee and proof of financial stability of the applicant. However, regulations regarding visa applications often change, so it is advisable to check the website of the Argentinian embassy or consulate in your home country for more details. Argentinian immigration offices, consulates and embassies are usually overloaded with immigration requests. Therefore, consider hiring a legal aide to represent you if your situation is complex.

There are different types of visas including long and short term visas. Your nationality determines whether you require a visa when going to Argentina. Citizens from countries including Andorra, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Bolivia, Belgium, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech, the United Kingdom, South Africa and the U.S. do not need visas to enter the country if they are traveling to Argentina for business, tourism, or market research.

Tourism Visa

These visas are issued by the national directorate of migration in Argentina in conjunction with the embassies or consulates of your country of residence. The visa is valid for three months and can be renewed for additional three months. To obtain this visa, one requires a completed and signed application form, a passport, two passport photos, return ticket, bank statements and application fee.

Performers’ Visa

Expats heading to Argentina for art, religious, cultural, technical or professional performances will need a performer’s visa. This is valid for 15 days and can be extended for another 15 days by the national directorate of migration in Argentina. Citizens from Brazil and Great Britain do not need this visa. Nationals from Belgium, Dutch and Iceland are not required to have the visa to enter Argentina unless they are being paid to perform.

If you do need one of these visas, you will need a passport, a signed and completed application form, two standard size passport photos, application fee payment and letter of invitation from the organization hosting the performance. The invitation needs to have the first and surname name of the applicant, their date of birth, passport number, date of arrival and departure, reason for visit and statement from the company receiving the applicant. The letter should be written on paper headed with the institution’s logo and signed by a member of the board of directors. The letter may be written in English or Spanish.

Work Visa

Whether you are travelling to Argentina for a paid or unpaid work, you will require a work visa. Internship is also counted as work so you will need a visa for that. This visa is issued and approved by the national directorate of migration in Argentina. Permission is applied directly by the institution in Argentina. There are circumstances where the consulate will apply for permission. The application fee is about €200, while issuing costs are around €100. If the company that sends you is not registered in Argentina, declarations and commercial references will be required to be eligible for the visa. Other requirements include a labor contract, passport, birth certificate, marital agreement and three passport photos for every family member. Once the employee arrives, they are required to apply for a unique code for work identification and national identity documents. The spouse and children of applicants need to show proof of family ties. This is often provided by marital and birth certificates that have been translated into Spanish.

Study Visa

These visas are valid for a year, and can be extended by the national directorate of migration in Argentina. To obtain one of these visas, you need to be a registered student at an Argentinian institution. You will need to provide proof of enrollment in form of a letter that is deemed legal by the ministry of education, or proof of registration to study in Argentina. Other requirements are four standard size passport photos, certificate of good conduct, certified birth certificate, valid passport, medical certificate and application fee payment. There should be proof of adequate financial ability if the student is not on scholarship or sponsorship. If the student is underage, the parents will be required to sign a travel relief document at the embassy.

Residence visas

If you are interested in investing in Argentina, you will need a residence visa. To apply for this, you need to make a minimum investment of AR$1,500,000 in production, commercial or service activity, or have proposal showing how and where you want to invest the amount. You will also need certificate of good conduct, commercial references, proof of finances, a valid passport and four standard size passport photos.

Medical Visa

Expats who are seeking medical treatment in Argentina can apply for a medical visa, which is valid for a year. Minors, individuals or disabled persons who cannot travel or stay alone for health reasons can apply for a visa for their direct family or caregivers. Application for this visa requires the medical records of the patient as well as information on both the treatment and the institution where the person will be seeking that treatment. If treatment is going to take place in a public hospital, the statement needs to be signed by the chief administrator of the hospital. If the medical care will be provided in a private clinic, the statement needs to be signed by the health department in Argentina.

Permanent Visas

If you are the spouse, parent or child of an Argentinian citizen and you wish to move to Argentina, you will be required to apply for a permanent visa. Applicants are required to have valid passports, identity card of the citizen, certified birth certificate, medical certificate, certificate of good conduct and four passport photos. If you are a parent of a citizen, you will need to show proof of this. Married couples will be required to provide proof of marriage.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.