±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.


Belgium - Insurance

Health insurance abroad is essential for any expat. In addition to expat healthcare insurance rates, insurance providers or online insurance comparison sites can provide life assurance quotes and auto insurance rates to provide you with overseas coverage. However, remember that cheap insurance may not represent the best value for money if you need to make a claim - as an expat you may require specialist expatriate insurance cover abroad.

To request free, no-obligation quotes from leading insurers, please visit our expat insurance page

Belgian residents are required to have some form of healthcare insurance, and can opt to join either the state social security scheme or a private scheme. Employees usually have their contributions to the state scheme automatically deducted from their salary. The rates of reimbursement are fixed by the Government. The state scheme provides reimbursement for most but not all of the cost of medical treatment, and is therefore sometimes supplemented by private health insurance. The self-employed often opt to be covered by private health insurance schemes.

Whether you buy or rent a home in Belgium, you are required under the Belgian Civil Code to take out personal liability insurance against damage to the property. Most rental agreements will specify that this policy must be in place within 30 days of signing a lease on the property. If renting furnished property, insurance is also normally required against damage to the furniture. Property owners have to take out buildings insurance against damage caused by fire, earthquake, storm etc., and when buying a home this is required immediately after the purchase agreement is signed, even though they may not receive the keys for several months.

Contents insurance is not compulsory in Belgium, but is recommended for all expatriates.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.