±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Social Security

Belgium - Social Security

Belgium has a very extensive social security system, which provides cover for medical care, unemployment, pensions, maternity, accidents and workplace injuries, and holiday pay. All foreign nationals living in Belgium, with the exception of some on short contracts, are required by law to contribute to the scheme, and will receive the same coverage as Belgian nationals for the time of their residence in Belgium.

Under EU regulations the nationals of other EU countries who are working in Belgium on a short-term, temporary basis can continue to be covered by the social security scheme of their home country, if certain criteria are met. Similarly, Belgium has bi-lateral social security agreements with a number of other countries including the USA and Canada.

Employers generally deduct their employees' social security contributions direct from their salaries, while the self-employed have to make arrangements to pay their contributions direct to one of the insurance companies that operate as collection agencies for the national scheme. The national social security office (ONSS/RSZ) and the national institute for social insurance of the self-employed (RSVZ-INASTI) can provide information on the scheme and the procedures for making contributions and claiming benefits.

Non-Belgian nationals can claim unemployment benefit in Belgium if they have worked for at least 300 days in Belgium or another EU country in the previous 18 months and are registered as actively seeking work in Belgium.

Employees are entitled to take a minimum of two days holiday per month, although they will normally be expected to have worked for the employer for a year before they become eligible for this. Some employers provide a more generous leave allowance. Holiday pay is received direct from the employer, in the form of a 13 month salary paid at the end of each year, along with a vacation supplement of 85% of the gross monthly salary. However these amounts are subject to tax.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.