±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving & Public Transport

Toronto - Driving & Public Transport

Expatriates in Toronto need to obtain a driver's license certified by the Province of Ontario within 60 days of settling into the city. The age limit for obtaining the license is 16. A vision test and theoretical test of driving and traffic rules are mandatory for all applicants, who are then issued a Class GI or MI license. This is followed by two practical driving tests, after which the license is issued. For complete details, refer to www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver

The application for a driving license is to be submitted along with documents supporting the applicants name and address, and resident status. 14 different types of licenses are issued by the Province of Ontario, www.drivetest.ca/en/license/LicenseType.aspx, each inviting a separate fee www.drivetest.ca/en/license/Fee.aspx

The driving test is undertaken at centres in

Downsview Park
37 Carl Hall Road
Toronto, ON M3K 2E2
FAX: (416) 398-3677
Mon-Fri 8:30 AM. to 5 PM
For Grade A,B,C,D,E,F, G1,G2,LM2,M2,Z tests

Centenial Park Plaza
5555 Eglinton Ave. W.
Etobicoke, ON M9C 5M1
FAX: (416) 695-9459
Mon-Sat 8:30 AM. to 5:00 AM
For G1, G2, LM1,LM2 licenses

Victoria Terrace Plaza
1448 Lawrence Ave E., Unit 15
North York, ON M4A 2S8
FAX: (416) 757-9564
Mon-Fri 8:30 AM to 5 PM
For G1, G2, LM1,LM2 licenses

Toronto Port Union
The Village of Abbey Lane Shopping Centre
91 Rylander Blvd., Unit #109A
Scarborough, ON M1B 5M5
FAX: (416) 724-4896
Mon-Sat 8:30 AM. to 5:00 PM
For G1, G2 exit tests only

For formalities related to registration of your vehicle in Toronto, refer to www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/register.htm

Public Transport in Toronto

Inter-city services by VIA Rail, Ontario Northland and Amtrak in Toronto are supplemented by the green and white commuter trains run by GO Transit.

GO Transit which serves the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) also has a fleet of buses plying from the Union Station Bus Terminal near the Union Station to all parts of the city.

The Toronto Transit Corporation (TTC) runs a close network of subways, buses and street cars. Commuters can avail of a single flat fare which applies to any trip on any mode within the city. The subway runs on 2 main lines, the Yonge-University-Spadina Line and the Bloor-Danforth Line. Beyond are secondary feeder services on the Sheppard line in the north and the Scarborough RT in the east. Around 150 bus routes and 11 streetcar routes supplement the subway system in the city.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.