±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

Toronto - Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

A work visa or work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows a foreign national to work legally in Toronto. Before applying for the work permit, an individual wishing to be employed in Toronto needs to get a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Service Canada.

The LMO is issued by Service Canada only when it is fully satisfied that the Canadian employer has exhausted his resources in seeking a suitable candidate in Canada, and that the foreign worker will not jeopardize opportunities for candidates within Canada. Once the LMO is issued, the foreign national is required to attend an interview with the Canadian Consulate or embassy in his home country, and apply formally for a Canadian Work Permit. Foreign nationals of some countries would also have to undergo a series of medical examinations. The work visa is then issued by the visa office at the embassy/consulate of Canada.

The LMO is waived for computer professionals who are recruited under the Software Development Workers Pilot Project, and for US and Mexican citizens working in sectors that are covered by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Spouses of skilled professionals under the Spousal Pilot Project are also exempt from the LMO.

Certain categories of foreign nationals do not need a work visa to work in Canada. Foreign diplomats, military personnel, athletes, artists, clergymen, ship or truck personnel and performing artistes in some cases can be employed in Canada without a work visa in special circumstances.

Foreign nationals can acquire a Permanent Resident Status once they have worked for two years under a work visa by applying under the Canadian Experience Class. This recently introduced program allows professionals to use their experience to apply for residency. Students under a Study Permit can also use this facility subject to their completion of two years of secondary education in Canada plus a years work experience in specified job categories. Proficiency in English or French is also a pre-requisite for students and foreign nationals with a work visa availing the Canadian Experience Class.

The permanent resident status is a step towards immigration. An immigrant visa or Record of Landing, allows foreign nationals to work and live permanently in Canada.

For more information and downloads, refer to www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/work.asp

Birth, Death and Marriage Registration

Births, deaths and marriages are maintained at the Office of the Registrar General. Before getting a birth certificate, it must be registered at Registry Services birth registration.

Marriage applications have to be submitted in person at a civic centre, on a downloaded form. Refer to Registry Services marriage licence information or call 416-392-7036.for details.

Driving License in Toronto

You need a license issued by the Ministry of Transportation, Government of the Province of Ontario to be able to drive in Toronto. For complete information on the procedure and the documents required for obtaining a drivers license, refer to www.drivetest.ca/en/license/HowToApply.aspx

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.