±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving and Public Transport

Croatia - Driving and Public Transport

Entry Regulations for Cars:

Individuals who drive their vehicles into the Republic of Croatia from neighboring countries in Europe must show border authorities the following:

- Valid passport or ID card; visa, if required
- Home country driver's license (required)
- International Driving Permit (recommended)
- Vehicle registration documents showing ownership
- Green Card insurance cover
- Written proof of permission from the vehicle's owner (if borrowed)
- National identity sticker affixed to the rear of the vehicle
- First aid kit
- Roadside emergency marker
- Spare tire and jack in working order

In order to import a vehicle for long-term residence you must provide the following information/documentation in addition to the above:

- Make of vehicle, model, year, type, number of doors, vehicle chassis number, color, weight, horsepower (HP), cubic centimeters (cm3), type of engine (gasoline or diesel).
- Bill of sale or registration from previous city/country (or an invoice if newly-purchased).
- a letter from your previous insurance company showing the period of time without any accident (this letter may significantly lower your local insurance rates).
- Residence/work permit.
- Local liability insurance. Croatian law requires that all resident motor vehicle owners, including foreign diplomats, have locally-purchased liability insurance. The car's engine size determines insurance cost.

Croatian roads are not as well maintained as or of equal quality to those found in most European nations. Freeways are few and far between. A 40 km length of freeway exists connecting Zagreb to Karlovac, and some segments of the proposed freeway between Zagreb and the Hungarian border are complete. A major artery between Zagreb and Split is nearing completion.

You must carry your vehicle registration and proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times.

Speeding tickets are issued on the spot by traffic police. Speed limits are as follows:

Built-up areas 50km/h
Main highways 80km/h
Motorways 130km/h

Note: Croatian drivers are infamous for careless driving, passing inappropriately and tailgating. It is illegal to overtake military convoys or long lines of traffic behind slow moving vehicles. Roads to the coastal areas can be very congested on weekends and during the summer.

For additional road condition and safety information, contact the Croatian Automobile Association (HAK) at (385) (1) 455-4433.

Public Transportation

Bus and Train

Railways are not the most effective modes of transport within Croatia, as international borders have shifted since many rail lines were built. For example, the southern Dalmatian coast and the Istrian peninsula cannot be accessed by rail from Zagreb without crossing an international border. Other rail routes within Croatia are infrequently serviced, slow, or more expensive than comparable bus service. One exception is the overnight auto-carrying train from Zagreb to Split that allows you to avoid crowded highways to the coast on busy summer weekends.

Domestic bus service is generally more reliable and economical than rail service. Complete bus schedules and fares can be found at www.akz.hr/Eng/Time-table/time-table.html

Train schedules are available at www.hznet.hr/hr/index.htm


Taxis are readily available in all cities. Taxis are available at taxi-stands throughout Zagreb, or may be ordered by phone (tel. 970). Taxis are safe, but can be quite expensive. Standard meter rates are 25 kuna to start, and an additional 10 kuna per kilometer (USD 1.00 = 6.00 kuna as of Feb. 2004). Rates are higher after 10 pm, and on Sundays or Holidays.


Croatia's coastal towns and cities have a regularly scheduled passenger and car-ferry service. One popular ferry runs along the entire length of the coast from Rijeka to Dubrovnik, and there are also links to Croatia's inhabited islands, although there are few connections between islands. During the summer season fast hydrofoil services are added to the system. The largest passenger ferry terminals are in Rijeka, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik. Ferry service is sharply curtailed during the winter months.

Added March 2007 by Domagoj:
There are many new motorways in Croatia, built in the last couple of years, that go all around the country. They connect all major cities: Zagreb-Rijeka, Zagreb-Osijek, Zagreb-Split. Also many of the alternative old roads in the country have a new tarmac layer.

Here is a map of the motorways:

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.