±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving and Public Transport

Estonia - Driving and Public Transport

Entry regulations for cars in Estonia are the same as those imposed in most other European countries. If you intend to drive to Estonia from other parts of Europe, you must be in possession of the following:

- A valid passport
- A national driver's license
- An international driving permit
- Vehicle registration documents
- Green Card insurance cover
- Written permission from the vehicle's owner (if the vehicle is borrowed)
- A national identity sticker affixed to the rear of the vehicle
- A first aid kit
- Two red warning triangles in case of breakdown
- Replacement bulbs for all lights

Anyone who intends to drive in Estonia should also be aware of the following rules and regulations:

- In built-up areas 50km/h max.
- On main roads or highways 90km/h max; some 100km/h max.
- Valid Green Card insurance is required
- Drive with lights on 24 hours a day
- In Tallinn, Pärnu, Tartu, Kuressaare, and Vilijandi drivers must pay for parking in central parts of the town, following the traffic signs
- Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly prohibited.

In case of accident, call the police rescue number, 110, or the general emergency number, 112.

In Estonia, public transport is well integrated in urban areas. In Tallinn there are trams, trolleybuses, buses, route taxis, and taxis. In other towns there are plenty of buses and taxis. Public transport usually begins service around 5 and 6am. They generally continue serving until midnight.

The Tallinn Card allows for unlimited free transport on Tallinn's buses, trolleybuses, and trams. Most public transport needed for traveling to Tallinn Card destinations depart from Vabaduse Väljak and Viru Väljak.

To contact the Central Bus Station in Tallinn:

Lastekodu 46, 10144 Tallinn
Tel: +372 680 0900

Bus station telephone numbers, contact information for bus companies operating in Estonia, and information about timetables are available through the Express Hotline on 1182 and 1188.

Estonian Railways provide a network of train services. The services cover the whole of Estonia. Although most of the trains have diesel engines, there are also electrified trains covering the suburban area around Tallinn. There is a difference between first and second class on domestic trains to Tartu and Valga.

To contact the Railway Station in Tallinn:

Toompuiestee 37, 10133 Tallinn
Tel: +372 615 6851
Electric trains phone: +372 673 7400

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.