±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.


Gibraltar - Utilities

Electricity is supplied to the people of Gibraltar by the Gibraltar Electricity Authority who is responsible for all aspects of supply. The supply is 230 volts and there are two types of plug which are in use in the country. The first is the two round pin style of plug and the second is that in use in the UK, consisting of two flat pins and a ground pin. It is advisable to ensure that you have the correct adaptor for your electrical items, if an adaptor is needed.

Consumers can consult the website of the Gibraltar Electricity Authority for the latest information on connecting and disconnecting services, electricity tariffs and how to pay bills. The site also includes details on how to contact each department of the company. Consumers are also able to use the form to provide feedback on the company's services.

Tap water is considered to be safe to drink, although those coming from abroad are advised to begin with bottled water while they become accustomed. The UK's Ministry of Defence at the naval base in Gibraltar has been in charge of supplying a certain amount of water to the territory, particularly for sanitary purposes. Drinking water supplies are provided by a company called AquaGib Ltd and most homes will have a water meter fitted to monitor the amount that is used and to accurately calculate bills.

AquaGib Ltd has a customer service department which is open Monday to Thursday from 8.30 am to 3.00 pm and on a Friday from 8.30 am to 2.30 pm. Details on their tariffs and how to apply for connection can be obtained from the company's website along with details on how to contact different departments of the company.

The connection of utility services can be done through the estate agents prior to moving in, although all will be subject to a small deposit and proof of residency, either a tenancy agreement or a completed contract of purchase, plus identification. If you prefer, you are able to contact the companies yourself and arrange the connection. Most companies will accept bill payments online through their websites, making it easy and less time consuming to deal with bills.

Due to the small size of the territory, there is no choice of utility suppliers. There is also no supplier for mains gas and although it is possible to buy appliances which run off bottled gas, most homes will use only electrical appliances.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.