±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Social Security

Greece - Social Security

IKA is the largest social security organisation in Greece. It currently covers 5,530,000 workers and employees and provides 830,000 pensioners with retirement pensions.

Other social security organisations are TAXI for hotel workers, TEBE for the self-employed, and OGA for farmers. The type of work you do determines the social security fund you contribute to.

For employees, the amount of contribution is a percentage of their gross income. The employer deducts the employee's contribution when the salary is paid to the employee and the deducted sum is paid to the National Insurance organisation along with the employer's contribution within the deadline set by law.

You are entitled to a health book for free medical treatment within the relevant National Insurance scheme from the year after you have started contributions. Usually a minimum 50 days 'stamps' are required during one year to obtain a health book for the following year. This entitles you and any dependent family members to free medical, hospital and dental treatment and reduced price prescriptions.

Unemployment benefit

If you have worked and paid IKA or TAXI contributions for 2 consecutive years, of 100 days or more for each year, you are entitled to unemployment benefit if you become unemployed. This also applies to seasonal workers such as teachers and summer workers.

To claim, you need to go to the nearest OAED (Greek Manpower Services) office with the following documents:

- Greek Tax Return for previous year
- IKA or TAXI statement of 'stamps' paid for previous 2 years
- Health book
- ID or Passport
- Resident permit
- A letter from your employer stating when you finished work

Your papers will be taken and processed and you will be told when to return to collect your first payment, usually 2 months after, and thereafter monthly for a maximum of 7 months.

Unemployment benefit is a standard amount, depending on family status. For a single person it is around 300 Euros per month and for a person with 2 dependent children approximately 400 Euros.

Read more about this country

Information courtesy of Carol Palioudaki, author of The Cool Guide to Living in Crete, available at www.livingincrete.net

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.