±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Customs and Import Duties

Hong Kong - Customs and Import Duties

All visitors traveling to Hong Kong have to go through customs clearance and declare all dutiable commodities exceeding duty-free quotas. More information about dutiable commodities at http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/trade_facilitation/dutiable/index.html. More information about what is considered to be “duty-free concessions” at http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/passenger_clearance/duty_free/index.html.

Some of the prohibited and controlled items include firearms, endangered species, meat and poultry, plants, and dangerous drugs. These are controlled by the Import & Export Ordinance under Hong Kong’s laws. If you are carrying any controlled substances then you must have a valid licence or permit issued in advance by the relevant authorities, unless exempted by law. Keep in mind that some substances that might be legal in your home country, such as mace, are illegal in Hong Kong.

For more information regarding controlled and prohibited substances, visit the Customs and Excise Department’s website:

Customs and Excise Department

According to the law, it is illegal for the residents of Hong Kong or visitors to carry the following items within the territory of Hong Kong: firearms, other arms, dangerous goods, and prohibited weapons.

Hong Kong is a free port and doesn’t levy any Customs tariff on any exports and imports. There are only four kinds of dutiable commodities that have excise duties levied on them. These are: tobacco, methyl alcohol, liquor, and hydrocarbon alcohol. Visitors over the age of 18 can bring in 1 litre of alcoholic liquor with an alcoholic strength above 30% by volume measured at a temperature of 20? exempted from duty. If the traveler has a Hong Kong Identity Card, he must have spent 24 hours or longer outside Hong Kong. A visitor over the age of 18 can bring in 19 cigarettes; or 1 cigar or 25 grams of cigars; or 25 grams of other manufactured tobacco.
Those traveling to Hong Kong must have a passport that is valid for at least one month after the period of their intended stay. Documents that are issued to stateless persons must be valid for a minimum of two months after the period of intended stay. Most nationals do not need a visa to enter Hong Kong if it is for tourism reasons that range from 7 to 180 days, depending on the traveler’s nationality. More information can be found regarding who needs a visa and how long you may stay in Hong Kong without one from the Immigration Department’s website.

Immigration Department
Immigration Tower,
7 Gloucester Road,
Wan Chai, Hong KongTel: (852) 2824 6111
Email: enquiry@immd.gov.hk

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Travel Pass offers easy immigration procedures for frequent business travelers who have valid passports and are eligible to come to Hong Kong without a visa or entry permit. To hold such a pass, you must have a genuine need to visit Hong Kong frequently, and you must have previously visited Hong Kong on three or more occasions in the 12 months prior to the application. Those who hold these passes can use the Hong Kong residents' counters for easier immigration clearance procedures.

The Frequent Visitor e-Channel travelers can use the convenience of the computerized self-service e-Channels. These also offer quicker immigration procedures. To be eligible for this, you must be over the age of 18, have a valid travel document and a valid multiple visit visa where appropriate, and either hold a APEC Business Travel Card with HKG printed on the back; a HKSAR Travel Pass; a Hong Kong International Airport Frequent Visitor Card; pr a Frequent Flyer Programme membership card that has been issued by one of the airlines that has joined the scheme. Those enrolled in this scheme can use the e-Channel at the Hong Kong International Airport, China Ferry Terminal, Macau Ferry Terminal, Shenzhen Bay, Lo Wu, and Lok Ma Chau Spur Line.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.