±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving Licenses

Hong Kong - Driving Licenses

If you possess a driver’s license in your native country then you may drive in Hong Kong for up to a year before you need to apply for a Hong Kong license. However, you will need to ensure that your current foreign license is still valid during that time.

After a year, you must apply for a Hong Kong driver’s license. For most foreign nationals, you will not need to take a test. You simply have to present your foreign license with the fee and your passport. Your Hong Kong license will then be valid for a period of 10 years.

To apply for your license, you will need to visit the Hong Kong Licensing Office at the Transport Department.

If your foreign license is not in English or Chinese then you will need to bring an official translation of it. In addition, if you are over the age of 70 then should bring the completed medical form TD256. A proof of address that is not older than 90 days is required as well.

If you do need to take the local driving test then you are still entitled to a temporary license which will allow you to drive for three months until you can take the test. The current cost of a Hong Kong driver’s license is HK$900 if you are under the age of 60.

There is a point system in place for driving penalties that could affect the status of your license. Some traffic offences carry Driving-offence Points, as well as additional penalties. Committing an offence will result in garnering points and when a certain number have been accumulated, you will be liable to be disqualified from driving for a certain period of time. They system does not cover all of the traffic offenses. The only ones that are included are those that have direct safety issues. In total, there are more than 50 offenses which can garner points.

If you garner less than 15 points, but have at least 8, then the Transport Department will issue you an Advice of Driving-offence Points. This will explain your Driving-offence Points in detail to you and give you a list of the offences you committed within 2 years. It essentially acts as a warning. If you accumulate 10 or more points in a 2 year time period then the Transport Department will issue you an Obligatory Attendance of Driving Improvement Course Notice. If this occurs, you will have to attend a driving improvement course. This will be at a cost to you.

If you receive 15 points in a 2 year time period then you can be banned by a Court from having a driver’s license. The first offense will be a disqualification for 3 months. However, this will be increased to 6 months if there are any ensuing convictions. In addition, a summons will be served at your address by mail. If you fail to appear in court, you will receive another summons. A warrant for your arrest might also be issued to you.

Some of the offences that can garner 10 points include: causing grievous bodily harm by dangerous driving, causing death, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, failing to undergo a breath test, driving more than 45 kilometers above the speed limit, and speed racing. Offences that will garner you fewer points include: careless driving, driving more than 15 kilometers above the speed limit, crossing double white lines, and failing to report an accident. For a list of all offences and the number of points they will garner you, visit: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/road_safety/driving_offence_points_system/index.html

Transport Department
Tel: (852) 2804 2600
Email: tdenq@td.gov.hk

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.