±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Social Security

Ireland - Social Security

Everyone who is in paid employment in Ireland is required to make Pay-Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contributions. To do so, you will need a Personal Public Service (PPS) Number, which will also be required if you apply for any state benefits or state services. Before starting work in Ireland you should apply for this from your local Social Welfare office, showing proof of identify such as your passport.

EU nationals are entitled to claim benefits and services in Ireland on the same basis as Irish nationals. The social security scheme covers pensions, redundancy and unemployment pay, sickness and disability benefits, maternity and child benefit payments.

If you are a national of a country with which Ireland has a reciprocal social security agreement, and you continue making payments in your home country, you may be exempt from contributing to the Irish scheme. In this case, any benefits payable will be paid in your home country. Ireland has social security agreements with all other EU/European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and with Austria, Canada, Australia, the USA and New Zealand.

If you are from a country with which Ireland has a reciprocal agreement, your pension rights in your home country will be protected while living and working in Ireland, and social security contributions made both in your home country and in Ireland will be taken into account in calculating your pension rights. EU/EEA nationals coming to live in Ireland should bring completed forms E301 and E104, as well as any other documentation as advised by the Social Welfare Department in their home country.

Applications for social security benefits must be made via the local social welfare office, where information will be provided on your eligibility.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.