±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Accommodation & Property

Tokyo - Accommodation & Property

Some of the world's most expensive property and land are found in Central Tokyo. Tiny apartments (30-50 square meters) in the city centre are very expensive. Housing costs are significantly lower in Tokyo's suburbs. Many companies recognize this, and often offer commuting compensation for their employees who live out in Tokyo's suburbs. The savings from renting a place in Tokyo's suburbs are always higher than the additional commuting costs from Tokyo suburbs, but be prepared to commute daily for at least an hour each way.

In Japan "tsubo" or "jo" (tatami mats) are used as a unit to indicate the size of land or a room. One tsubo corresponds to two jo (two tatami mats), to 3.3 square meters or 35.583 square feet. Apartments (apato or mansion in Japanese English) refer to single-level apartments that start at around 35 square meters up to around 300 square meters. Apartments may be located in clusters with a small compound or common recreational area. Maisonette is Japanese English for an apartment containing two or more floors. Duplex properties are suitable for families and are mostly found in the outer wards of Tokyo. Single-family houses can have 3-4 bedrooms and are usually between 120-400 square meters in size. A cluster of single-family houses in an enclosed area with security and recreational facilities is known as a compound. There is useful information about housing and rentals, including common Japanese expressions when looking for a property, at this website.

Most Tokyo residents live in high-rise apartments. Apartments in Tokyo are usually rented out by realtors or real estate agents rather than property owners. Real estate offices are identifiable by their signs on their shop windows. Some property owners prefer not to rent out to expatriates who cannot speak Japanese to avoid communication misunderstandings. Non-Japanese speaking expatriates can turn to real estate companies that specifically target Tokyo's foreigners. These companies usually offer shorter rental contracts and are staffed with agents who can speak different languages. Gaijin houses are good rental solutions for expatriates who intend to live in Tokyo for a short period only. The apartments on offer can come furnished.

For expatriates renting for the first time, it is essential that you have at least 5-6 months' rent available as the initial down payment. This initial down payment includes the rent for the first month, a security deposit (shikikin), key money (reikin) and agency fee. Some fees can be negotiated (e.g. reikin), and some fees (e.g. shikikin) are refundable in principle. Disputes regarding security deposits are common. If you are unable to resolve the disputes, you can wish to consult the National Consumer Affairs Center. The Tokyo office is located at 3-13-22 Takanawa, Minato, Tokyo, 108-8602, Tel: 3-3443-6284. In Tokyo, there is a Rental Housing Conflict Prevention Act to reduce disputes and guidelines on the responsibilities for the restoration of rental properties by the Tokyo Bureau of Urban Development. The website is available in Japanese only. You can try calling 03-5321-1111 for more details on the Act.

Most rental contracts are worded in Japanese. If you have difficulties understanding the language, have someone you trust to help you with the translation, or rely on a trusted real estate agent to provide an English translation of the contract. Sometimes, you will need a guarantor for a renal contract.

Fully furnished apartments are not common in Tokyo. Most apartments come empty, but there are a growing number of furnished apartments catered to the expatriate community.

Given the high costs of owning a property in Tokyo, most expatriates will rent, but some longer-staying expatriates (usually 5 years or more) may consider buying a piece of land and property.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.