±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Healthcare & Medical Treatment

Tokyo - Healthcare & Medical Treatment

Important Phone Numbers:

For emergency assistance (Fire / Ambulance): 119 (toll-free)

Police / Traffic Accident: 110 (toll-free) – Police Is Keishicho / Tokyo Metropolitan Police

For non-emergency ambulance assistance: 1777

Healthcare standards in Tokyo are comparable to any other highly industrialized cities. Although the city is very populous, the city is clean and food and water is safe anywhere in the city. There are many hospitals in Tokyo. Some operate in association with the universities (e.g. Kosei General, University of Tokyo), while others are privately run by religious groups (e.g. the St. Luke's International Hospitals, Tokyo Adventist.) For outpatient / dental services, there is a range of international clinics available throughout Tokyo that are staffed with English-speaking doctors and assistants.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Centre offers assistance in different languages (English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Spanish) to locate the nearest medical facility or hospital in Tokyo. There are also foreign-speaking staff who can provide information on medical institutions and health insurance system in Japan. Call 03-5285-8181 (operating hours: 9am to 8pm daily). For emergency translation services, call 03-5285-8185 (operating hours: 5pm to 8pm on weekdays and 9am to 8pm on weekends and holidays). The website also provides an internet search facility for location of hospitals and clinics in Tokyo.

An alternative for language help would be the centre set by the Association of Medical Doctors in Asia (AMBA). The not-for-profit organization is known as the AMDA International Medical Information Centre (Call 03-5285-8088 for consultation in Central Tokyo; no email enquiries are entertained). This centre provides language translation services over the telephone to foreign residents in Japan in several languages (e.g. English, Chinese, Filipino, Portuguese, Korean). Like the Metropolitan Health and Information centre, the AMBA centre can provide details on Tokyo's medical facilities and Japan's healthcare system.

For a list of useful Japanese expressions to describe medical illnesses, try .

It is compulsory to be enrolled into some kind of Japanese insurance program if you are living in Japan. There are two kinds of social insurance in Japan. The National Health Insurance Plan (kokumin kenko hoken or kokuho) is a public medical insurance health program in Japan for all people residing in Japan, and is usually reserved for self-employed people and students. This insurance is not applicable for expatriates who live in Japan for a short period only. The other social health insurance is known as the "shakai hoken" that covers pension, unemployment and healthcare. ("kenko hoken" refers to the health portion of this insurance while "kosei nenkin" refers to the pension portion of the insurance). This insurance is meant for employed workers / corporate employees and is sometimes referred to as "SHI" or "EHI".

For expectant foreigners, you need to report your pregnancy to the nearest municipal office where you live to receive a Mother and Child Health Handbook (boshi techo), along with a useful information package for prenatal checkups, birth notification forms and available prenatal classes. The boshi techo is an important health booklet that records the progress of pregnancy and childbirth conditions, the child's health and development and vaccination history. There are bilingual handbooks available (ask for a boshi kenko techo) in English, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Tagalog, Portuguese, Indonesian and Spanish.

(Tel: 3-5774-0992) provides English-speaking services for confidential personal counseling via the telephone. You can also make appointments for face-to-face sessions.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.