±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving and Public Transportation

Malta - Driving and Public Transportation

Nationals of EU member countries aged 18 or over are allowed to drive in Malta on their existing licences, or exchange them for a Maltese one after having lived in Malta for six months. Non-EU nationals aged 18 or over can drive on their existing valid licence for a maximum of twelve months from the date of their last arrival in Malta.

Applications for a Maltese licence must be made in person at the Licencing and Testing Directorate (LTD) on the DRV.01 application form (available from the Malta transport authority website - http://www.maltatransport.com/en/). You also need to submit a colour passport-sized photo, current driving licence, passport and Maltese identity card, if available. A fee is payable on collection of your Maltese licence. You are not allowed to hold more than one EU-issued driving licence, so your previous licence will be returned to its country of origin.

If you import your own car to Malta from an EU member state, there is no VAT payable on cost, as long as the car is more than 6 months old or has been used for at least 6000 km. Registration tax and VAT are payable, but those gaining permanent residence status benefit from reduced rates on these. Full CIF VAT, Registration Tax and VAT are payable on new cars brought into Malta, and customs duty must also be paid on cars originating from non-EU countries. The Licencing and Testing Directorate must be notified of any vehicles brought into Malta within one week of arrival, and they must be registered within one month.

Driving is on the left in Malta, and the speed limits are 80kph (50mph) on highways and 50kph (30mph) in residential areas. Many of Malta's roads have not been well-maintained, especially outside the main towns.

There are frequent, cheap bus services available, serving all main towns and many villages.

A helicopter service operates frequent services between Malta and Gozo, with flights taking only around 15 minutes. There are also frequent passenger and car ferries between Malta and Gozo, with a journey time of about 30 minutes. Ferries from Malta to Comino operate only between March and November.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.