±A - Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Our monthly newsletter contains health and financial news, expat articles, social media recommendations and more.
±A - Join Our Community
±A - Read Our Guide
±A - Compare Quotes and Save
±A - Listen to the Podcast
±A - Expert Financial
±A - ExpatFocus Partners
Taking Your PetsBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Malta - Taking Your Pets
The Air Malta website has details of countries covered by the Pet Travel Scheme (http://www.airmalta.com/page.jsp?id=1950&siteid=1).
1. Be fitted with a microchip.
2. Be vaccinated against rabies.
3. Be blood tested. The result of the sieroneutralization titre test must show that the vaccine has given the pet animal satisfactory protection against rabies, i.e. that the pet animal has a titre equal to or greater than 0.5. IU/ml.
4. Be issued with an Official Pet Passport (or a Pet Travel Scheme Certificate, which remains valid according to the validity period indicated on the Certificate) issued by the Competent Veterinary Authorities of the Country of origin (for pet animals residing in Malta that travel to another country and require a Pet Travel Scheme Certificate to re-enter Malta, this is issued by the Food and Veterinary Regulation Division).
5. Be treated with praziquantel for tapeworm and with fiprinol for ticks 24-48 hours before commencing the journey for Malta.
(from Air Malta website)
Other types of animals, and dogs and cats from countries not covered by the Scheme, have to be put into quarantine when entering Malta.
Read more about this country
Expat Health Insurance Partners
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.