±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.


Norway - Taxation

Norway has relatively high rates of direct and indirect taxation, which are used to fund a range of public and social services, and to cover the cost of subsidizing certain foods and other goods. Direct taxes include income tax and property tax. Indirect taxes include VAT, which is levied at a rate of between 12 and 25% on most goods and services.

Income tax is normally deducted direct from employees' salaries by their employers, and includes a social security contribution. Employers also contribute to the social security fund on behalf of their employees.

If you are going to work in Norway, you will be required to register as a taxpayer by taking your employment contract and passport to the local tax office and completing the form 'Application for tax-card for foreign citizens.' Your employer must be presented with this card when you start work, otherwise you will initially have 50% of your income deducted as tax, and reimbursed the following year.

Tax is payable on the current year's income, based on an estimate of liability. Everyone is required to complete an annual tax return. Tax rates depend on level of income and any allowances, but usually around a third of gross pay is payable in tax.

There are special arrangements for people who are working in Norway for less than six months, details of which can be obtained from the tax office. Additionally, foreign nationals who are living and working in Norway for less than four years may be entitled to a tax-free allowance of 15%.

Norway has Double Taxation treaties with a number of other EU/EEA countries, which mean that tax paid in one country can be offset against any tax payable in the other.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.