±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Driving and Public Transportation

Poland - Driving and Public Transportation

To obtain a Polish licence it is necessary to pass a Polish driving test and to be resident in Poland for at least 185 days in each calendar year. Applicants may also be required to provide medical certificates confirming that they have no medical or psychological disorders which impede their ability to drive.

Driver's licences issued by other EU countries are valid for use in Poland, but EU citizens have the option of exchanging their licence for a Polish one if they wish to, without having to take a Polish driving test. They must have held an EU citizen's residence card for at least 185 days before applying for the Polish licence.

Polish law requires all drivers to carry their driving licence and civil liability insurance documents (Green Card) with them whenever they are driving. Civil insurance issued in other EU countries is valid in Poland.

It is compulsory to use front and rear seat belts in cars in Poland, and children up to the age of 12 must use special child seats. It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving unless a hands-free set is used. The legal alcohol limit while driving is 0.2 mil. Speed limits include 50 km/h in towns (60 km/h at night-time) and 130 km/h on motorways. Between October and February drivers are required to use day lights on their vehicles during the day.

Poland has is a well developed public transport network, with bus and rail services operating throughout the country, trams in the larger cities and a single-line underground train system in Warsaw. There are fast inter-city rail connections as well as slower stopping services, with higher fares being payable on the faster services. Internal flights also operate between the main international and domestic airports. There is also a good road network within the country, and between Poland and its neighbouring countries.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.