±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Importing a Vehicle

Singapore - Importing a Vehicle

If you want to import your own vehicle to Singapore, you can expect to pay a lot of money since import duties on vehicles are high. To get the most up-to-date information on importing vehicles, visit the Land Transport Authority (LTA)’s website at http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en.html

Vehicles may only be imported to Singapore if they are less than 3 years old. The age itself is claculated from its first date of registration, not necessarily the year it was made. For each car you import to Singapore, you will be charged $10,000. This is in addition to any shipping costs that you will pay to have it shipped to the country.

Before you are able to register it in Singapore, it has to pass a mechanical inspection at the LTA. Some of the requirements of passing the inspection include:

* Air-conditioning units have to be free of CFC.
* Fitted safety glass must possess no less than 70% light transmittance. It can’t have any metallic oxide coating.
* No free brakes or clutch linings with asbestos.
* The exhaust emissions standards must comply with the European Directive 91/441/EEC or Article 31 of the Japanese Safety Regulation.
* It must have approved front and rear safety belts.
* It must be a right-hand drive vehicle.
* It has to be able to use unleaded gasoline.
* It can’t be a camper or a minivan.

There are several steps you must follow to import the vehicle to Singapore, once it has been determined that it meets the necessary requirements. Upon arrival in Singapore, you’ll need the following documents:

· Vehicle Registration Certificate (if it is in a language other than English, an English translation is required)
· Alliance Internationale De Tourisme Carnet de Passages en Douane (AIT-CPD) or Carnet De Passages En Douane for Temporary Admission (ATA-CPD) in the country where your vehicle is registered
· Vehicle insurance certificate issued by a Singapore-based insurance company
· International Circulation Permit (ICP) issued by Automobile Association of Singapore (AAS) if vehicle is under the cover of AIT-CPD (this has to be obtained before the vehicle enters Singapore)
· Visitor’s License (VL) issued by LTA if vehicle is under the cover of ATA-CPD
· Customs Inward Permit issued by Singapore Customs

If the vehicle was made in one of the European Community countries, obtain the EEC Certificate of Conformity issued by the manufacturer for the car from the manufacturer or agent. If it was manufactured in Japan, obtain the Completion Inspection Certificate issued by the manufacturer for the car from the manufacturer or agent. The vehicle can also be tested overseas at a vehicle testing laboratory and receive a Certificate of Compliance with Exhaust Emission Standards together with a Test Report and a Safety Glass Certificate.

One of the biggest things you’ll have to do is make arrangements for the vehicle to be shipped to Singapore. The shipping agent can help you get an Inward Cargo Clearance Permit. Using the Tradenet System, your agent will have to submit a joint application to the Trade Development Board (TDB) and the Customs & Excise Department (CED). The CED will then assess your vehicle’s Open Market Value (OMV) and customs duty will be levied at 41% of the OMV.

Registering your vehicle is the next step.

To register your vehicle, you’ll need to submit all the required documentation for verification to the New Registration Section, LTA, 10 Sin Ming Drive, Singapore 575701. When ready, the LTA will ask for an inspection. A Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and insurance coverage for your vehicle will need to be obtained as well. You can submit all information about your vehicle at the computer service terminals at the Singapore Network Services (SNS) Service Centre, Bugis Junction and get your Car Registration Application Form.

A fee must be made to the Land Transport Authority of $1,000 for private registration and $5,000 for company registration. In addition, there is an Additional Registration Fee (ARF) of 150% of the car's OMV. Once you have registered your vehicle with the LTA, you will receive the COE, Road Tax disc, registration card, and Insurance Cover Note or Certificate of Insurance.

Detailed information regarding the process of importing your vehicle can be found at http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en.html

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.