±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Retiring and Pensions

Trinidad and Tobago - Retiring and Pensions

Trinidad and Tobago is the ideal choice for an active expat who is looking for a more relaxing way of life in retirement. There are no specific schemes in place for attracting foreign retirees, but expats who have the correct residency visas are made very welcome.

Quality of life in Trinidad and Tobago is excellent. There is plenty for those who enjoy keeping fit, with a number of opportunities to take part in water sports, but it is also ideal for those who are simply looking for a warmer climate in which to spend their retirement years. Houses and apartments can be bought and rented for a reasonable price and the cost of living is reasonable when compared with other countries in the Caribbean.

The typical Trinidad lifestyle is very laid back. Islanders have a reputation for following their own timetable and this may take a little getting used to if you are used to being on time for everything, but for those who are looking for a slower pace of life with few stresses, it is ideal.

It is possible to receive a state pension from your home country while living in Trinidad and Tobago although the rules vary from country to country. As a general rule, it is advisable to check with the pensions service in your home country before you make arrangements to move in order to ensure that you will still be able to claim your pension. It may be that you can still claim but will have to have the payments put into a bank account in your home country and will have to transfer funds yourself, but some countries will send cheques for pension payments to you in your new country.

Those who have a private pension will have to make similar enquiries and arrangements. As with state pensions it may be necessary to have it paid first into a bank account in your country of origin, then make your own arrangements for transfers.

It is not possible for an expat to move to Trinidad and Tobago and claim pensions or other benefits from the social security system there, unless they have spent many years making contributions to the social security system. Those who are looking to obtain long-term residency visas with no work permit may be expected to provide proof that they have an independent income, such as proof of pension payments, to demonstrate that you will not be expecting the Trinidad government to support you.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.