±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Education and Schools

New York - Education and Schools

While education regulations in the United States are fairly uniform, there's no doubt that there's plenty of room for individuality. One advantage of a city as large as New York City is that there are lots of educational opportunities - both on the basic and advanced learning levels. Whether you have a child who'll be enrolling in a public or private school or you're looking for a college, university or technical program, you're sure to find options in New York City's educational systems.

If a public school is in your child's future, you should probably start at the New York City Department of Education's website at http://www.nycenet.edu/default.aspx. There are several links on this site, including a link to frequently asked questions that will give you answers to issues including immunization requirements, enrollment sites and transportation. You'll need documents to prove residency in the city before you can enroll your child in public school, as well as your child's birth certificate, passport or baptism record. The regulations for proving residency are fairly strict and you should note that employment records including an address, a deed to a home, or utility bills (not including telephone service) are typically required.

For those students who find themselves in NYC as exchange students or who are new to the country, Metro International has lots of information to help make the transition easier. You'll find a wide array of information from currency exchange information and help navigate the city's transit system to emergency numbers and social issues. You'll find more information at the Metro International website at https://www.metrointl.org/, by visiting the office at 285 West Broadway, Suite 450 (between Canal & Lispenard Streets) New York, NY 10013, or by phoning 212-431-1195.

You should note that most colleges and universities in the New York City area have comprehensive on-site programs to help international students and their families. Check with the college of your choice for specifics.

The Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York lists almost 150 private schools in the New York area. The options for private schools range from preschool through high school, and you can choose from parochial, special needs or special activities schools. For more information about this non-profit organization or the sister organization of the Parent's League of New York, contact them at115 East 82 Street, New York 10028, or by phone at 212-737-7385, or visit their website at http://www.isaagny.org/info.html.

You'll find some 70 colleges, universities and training schools in New York City and the immediate area. From medical degrees to technical training, interior design to music, you'll find an array of opportunities that will serve the needs of almost anyone seeking to expand on their education. If you're looking for culinary training, you'll find several options in New York. You'll find a listing of many of these colleges, universities and training programs at http://www.nyc.gov. Simply follow the links on the left side of the page for 'Residents,' then to 'Education.' If you're looking for adult literacy or English as a second language classes, you'll also find those at this site.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.