Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Visas, Residency, Immigration & Documentation

Chile - Visas, Residency, Immigration & Documentation

Chile is one of the easiest countries in which to obtain residency. There are a number of categories but the most common are:

Work visa with the visa attached to a contract with a local firm

- Investor visa whereby a person makes an investment or sets up a local business. A basic business plan must be presented to immigration authorities.

- Retiree visa. The person must show he has enough money to survive in Chile from a pension. There is no official amount stated by the authorities but I've ascertained that it must be at least the minimum wage which is around US$300/month

- Rentista visa. The person must show he has enough money to survive in Chile from income derived from investments (shares, rent etc), being more than the minimum wage.

All visa applications can be made by post once you arrive in Chile. You will not have to leave the country in order to receive your visa.

You do not need to find a job or obtain a visa before arriving in Chile as a tourist. All types of visa can be obtained whilst you are in Chile.

You do not need to undertake any medical exams in order to apply for a visa.

Once you have a visa for at least one year you are allowed to import your personal effects free of tax up to a limit of US$5000 (although it is easy to exceed this limit by under-valuing your goods on the customs form and without problems). You may not import a car into Chile.

After 2-3 years of temporary residence you must apply or permanent residency. You do not have to apply for citizenship if you do not wish to.

More information can be found at www.extranjeria.gob.cl

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.