Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Visas, Residency, Immigration and Documentation

Czech Republic - Visas, Residency, Immigration and Documentation

Note: All foreigners entering the Czech Republic MUST provide proof of health insurance.

Foreign nationals from European Union countries and the European Economic Area can travel to the Czech Republic with a valid passport or ID card. No visa is required.

EU and EEA citizens whose stay in the Czech Republic will exceed 30 days are obliged to register within 30 days of their arrival in the Czech Republic with the Alien and Border Police.

Nationals from the following countries are required to have a visa for travel to the Czech Republic:

Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, holders of British National Overseas Passports, Dominica, Faer Islands, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Russia, Saint Lucia, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, the West Samoa, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Suriname, South Africa, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tonga, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Vanuatu.

For these nationals short-term visas (90 days or less) require a passport valid for three months longer than the requested stay. For longer term visas (more than 90 days) passports must be valid for a minimum of 455 days.

If you are from a country not on the above list, and are a non-EU/EEA citizen, you are not required to have a visa to visit the Czech Republic. However, you must register with the Czech Alien and Border Police within 30 days if you intend to stay longer than 30 days, and your passport must be valid for 90 days longer than your intended stay.

Note: You cannot enter the Czech Republic with a Schengen visa.

Temporary Residence Permit

EU/EEA citizens are eligible for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) if they intend to stay in the Czech Republic for longer than three months. A TRP is not required of these citizens, but having one can be useful as proof of residence.

TRP applications may be filed with the Alien and Border Police in the Czech Republic, or with a consulate or embassy abroad. In the former case the request takes a maximum of 60 days to process, and in the latter up to 180 days.

Documents required for TRP:

- Application form (light purple color) completed and signed by the applicant
- Valid passport
- 2 recent passport-sized photographs
- Document detailing the purpose of stay
- Health insurance document
- Affidavit about not claiming social benefits in the Czech Republic by the individual

Permanent Residence Permit

This permit only applies to EU/EEA citizens and their families under the following circumstances:

- When the foreigner is employed in and maintains legal residence in the Czech Republic for three years or more
- When the foreign national is a business owner
- When the foreigner is a member of a statutory body or functions in a legal capacity
- When certain other specifics apply, e.g. retirement, disability, change in status from TRP (possible after 5 years continuous stay) and so forth

Documents needed for PRP application:

- Completed application
- Travel document or EU ID
- Documents related to the specific case of stay
- Two identical photographs (passport size)

For more details on permanent residency and other information visit this site: http://www.czech.org.uk/visa.htm#NULA

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.