±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Find the best health insurance provider or foreign currency transfer specialist by comparing free quotes

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners
Become a Partner. Click Here.

Utilities (Gas, Water, Electricity)

Czech Republic - Utilities (Gas, Water, Electricity)

You should register for basic services prior to moving into a house or apartment in order to avoid the inconvenience of being without power, water, gas etc. upon arrival. The registration process can take several days, and sometimes weeks. It is advisable to begin the process well before you anticipate taking up residence in the house or apartment.


Register at the service office of the regional distributor for your district. You will pay an administrative fee and arrange an advance payment for electric usage. A technician will come to your residence and connect a meter.

Documents required:

- Completed electric energy consumption registration application
- Occupational lease (or proof of ownership)
- Owner's approval for service connection (if leased)
- Czech citizen guarantor (if status is other than permanent resident)

The Czech government sets the cost of electricity for household consumption. An estimated payment is required in advance every month (rarely every two months). You will receive quarterly statements detailing your usage to date, and a payment envelope for any usage that might exceed the amount of your advance payments for those months. If the total amount of electricity you consume is consistently larger than the amount your advance payment is based upon, you will be asked to increase your monthly advance payment to compensate. If your energy consumption is less than your advance payments you will receive a refund with your quarterly statement.


Each region has a separate gas company. You must register with the one that services your district. In order to register you will need to provide a copy of the lease agreement or proof of ownership.

The Czech government sets the price of household gas. Gas usage is paid for in advance each month. A summary of use statement is generally issued annually.


Water consumption is generally included in the lease agreement. If you are the new owner of a property you must register with the Water and Sewerage Company in your district to continue service.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.