±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Moving Abroad, Before And After Brexit
· Expat Focus Financial Update February 2018
· How To Navigate Brexit When Sending Money Abroad
· Expat Focus Financial Update January 2018
· Top Tips for Buying a Property Overseas in 2018
· Expat Focus Financial Update December 2017
· World Events And Currency: Why Politics Affect An Exchange Rate
· Expat Focus Financial Update November 2017
· What Might Brexit Mean For Expat Finances?
Leisure, Entertainment and SportsBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Dominican Republic - Leisure, Entertainment and SportsPage: 1/3
Dominican cuisine is the result of mixing traditional dishes from several cultures and the transformations and adaptations they experienced across the centuries, preserving dishes such as the indigenous cassava bread, which has arrived to our times unchanged in its ingredients and elaboration.
Among the most remarkable dishes are:
- Sancocho: a mix of several kinds of meat, vegetables, tubers cooked with plenty of water to form a thick soup.
- Moro: rice with 'guandules' (pigeon peas).
- Fish in coconut sauce.
- Rice with beans, accompanied with chicken or other meats.
- 'Mondongo': Beef or pork tripe stew.
- Mofongo: Fried, mashed green plantains, mixed with pork cracklings and plenty of garlic. Served accompanied with a chicken soup.
- 'Puerco en puya' Spit roast pork, roasted over a woodfire.
- Cassava bread: Grated yucca cooked on a hot plate. This is a Taino Indian legacy.
Carnival celebrations date from the times of the Spanish conquest. At the beginning, it was celebrated during the days previous to Lent. Today, it takes place during February and the first days of March. This is a popular festivity where every town has its own characteristic costume. The most famous are:
- The carnival of Santiago, where the 'lechones' pepineros and joyeros (from the neighborhoods of Los Pepines and La Joya) dance and make their bells jingle and their whips crack on the floor to scare the passersby. There is also the voluptuous 'robalagallina', a man disguised as a fat woman.
- In La Vega, the 'diablos cojuelos' get out of their caves filled with music and animation to parade along the streets and impress everyone with their spectacular costumes.
- In the Puerto Plata carnival, seashells and sea join the ancestors' legacy and become the 'taimacaros.'
- Finally, the Santo Domingo Carnival is a magnificent cultural feast, a melting pot of every city and town in the country where you can appreciate the different traditions and costumes of every one of them, and where the elaborate carriages parade together with the more or less organized groups that together give Carnival its distinct color.
This guide was compiled with the help of Lindsay de Feliz, a British expat blogger living in the Dominican Republic. Visit her blog at yoursaucepans.blogspot.com.
Read more about this country
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.