Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

Geneva - Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

Do refer to Expat Focus Country Guide on Switzerland and Expat Focus City Guide on Zurich for more details on visas and work permits for living and working in Switzerland.

First off, you will need a valid visa to enter Switzerland. In order to live and work in Geneva, you will need to have a valid work permit and a residence permit. Take note that you will need to have a valid work permit before you can apply for a residence permit. Certain permits (e.g. B, L) have yearly quotas in each canton, and the quotas vary from canton to canton and are determined at the discretion of the canton. This is the main reason why many companies prefer to apply for work permits in the first half of the year.

The office to go to apply for a work permit is the Department de la solidarite et emploi (DSE) is located at rue des Noirettes 35 Geneva (Tel: 022 388 74 00; website (in English) www.ge.ch/permis/uk. Operating hours: 8am to 12 noon, 1pm to 4pm, Mondays through Fridays. Usually, your employer will assist you in this stage of the process of applying for a work permit.

To register as a resident of Geneva, you will need to go to the Office Cantonal de la Population in order to be issued a certificate of domicile. The office that will assist you to register as a Genovese resident is located at route de Chancy 90. Operating hours: Mondays through Fridays, 8am to 1130am, and 145pm to 330pm. Tel: 022 546 48 88. The postal address for the Cantonal Office of Population is Office Cantonal de La Population, Case Postale 2652, 1211 Geneva 2. The residence permit is a booklet that all expatriates must have. If you are renting accommodation in Geneva, your property owner will ask to see your residence permit as they will also need to inform the office of new tenants.

You can download a Welcome To Geneva information guide in pdf format that provides useful information for new Genovese residents. The guide is available in French only.

To renew your residence permit, please refer to the guidelines specified by the OCP at www.ge.ch/ocp/welcome. Give yourself ample time when applying for renewal, or face an additional $30 CHF charge. When you are leaving Geneva for another canton or country, you should de-register yourself from the canton of Geneva. The office to visit is located at route de Chancy 88. Alternatively, you can do so online at www.ge.ch/ocp/welcome. The office at route de Chancy 88 is also the place to go, if you change your address during your stay in Geneva

Registering births and deaths

New births must be registered within 3 days of the birth at the Office of Registry of the commune where the birth took place. Usually, if the birth took place in a hospital or clinic, the administration of the hospital or clinic will assist in the registration of the child. To determine the citizenship of your child, contact your respective embassy or consulate for more details.

All deaths must be registered within 2 days of the occurrence. Death certificates are issued by the Civil Registrar's Office (37, rue de la Mairie, 1211 Geneva). This death certificate is a document to show as proof of death - it is not the same as the one issued by a doctor or some other person authorized to certify the cause of death.

Registering your marriage

Expatriates who wish to register their marriage in Geneva would need to check out the various procedures and guidelines set out by the Civil Registrar's Office ("Office de l'etat civil"). The office is located at 37, rue de la Mairie, 1211 Geneva. The office is open Mondays through Fridays, 9am to 1145 am, and from 2pm to 4pm. The office is closed on public holidays. Tel: 022 418 66 50. Website: www.ville-ge.ch/etat-civil.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.


Health is your number one priority. At Aviva we understand this, which is why we’re focused on helping you and your family access high quality healthcare at home or overseas. Our award winning medical insurance will help you get the treatment you need or simply provide guidance and advice wherever you are, 24/7.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.