Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Getting There By Road

Hong Kong - Getting There By Road

Most travelers arrive in Hong Kong by air. Although it is possible to drive from Mainland China to Hong Kong, it is not generally advisable for newcomers. The traffic can be very heavy and the highways and bridges often change with little notice.

There is a hard border crossing on the China/Hong Kong border. There are rules for driving over the border, too. Although Hong Kong allows most foreigners over the age of 18 to drive for up to 12 months with their valid local licenses, it can still be a good idea to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP). If you plan on driving in the territory for more than a year will need to get a Hong Kong license. This is valid for 10 years ($900). You can apply at one of the licensing offices of the Transport Department. A list of offices can be found at: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/licensing_offices/index.html

Transport Department
3rd fl, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Admiralty

If you are driving your own car across the border, you must have approval for your car and the driver. This requires you to apply for a Mainland driving license, an Approval Notice for the vehicle and driver from the Guangdong Public Security Bureau and a closed road permit for the vehicle from the Transport Department. Once you get the Approval Notice from the Guangdong Public Security Bureau, you must apply for a closed road permit from the Transport Department in Hong Kong. This requires you to submit a duly completed application form (Form TD 547D) together with the required supporting documents to the Cross Boundary Unit of the Transport Department in person, by agent, by post to:

Cross Boundary Unit
The Transport Department
Room 1032, 10/F, Harbour Building
38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2804 2600
Email: licensing@td.gov.hk

When you have a valid closed road permit, it is possible to drive your vehicle across the boundary via the control point specified on the permit. There are four vehicular boundary crossings: Lok Ma Chau, Sha Tau Kok, Man Kam To and Shenzhen Bay Port.

Keep in mind that if you drive into Hong Kong from Mainland China, you will be changing the side of the road that you are driving on. In Mainland China, drivers drive on the right side of the road. In Hong Kong, they drive on the left.

It is also possible to take a bus into Hong Kong from Mainland China. A coach station is located in Terminal 2 at the Hong Kong International Airport. This connects Hong Kong with major cities in the Guangdong Province. Coach buses travel to Hong Kong from Xiamen in Fujian Province and Guangzhou in Jiangxi Province. From Guangzhou, buses depart from several hotels and Aether Square. Most buses stop at Mong Kok, Ocean Park, Jordan, and the Hong Kong International Airport. There is also a coach that runs from Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport to Hong Kong.

Before you board a bus from Mainland China to Hong Kong, you will need to ensure that you have all of your Hong Kong travel documents ready since there will be a border crossing.

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.