Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Importing a Vehicle

Hong Kong - Importing a Vehicle

If you have a vehicle at home and you want to bring it to Hong Kong then you will need to go through the process of importing it. Importing your vehicle to Hong Kong can be done but it is a complicated, lengthy, and expensive process. The three government departments that are involved in the process are the Customs and Excise Department, Transport Department, and the Environmental Protection Department.

To begin with, you should receive approval from the Environmental Protection Department before you ship your vehicle. You must be able to prove that your vehicle complies with the emission standards in the Air Pollution Control (Vehicle Design Standards)(Emission) Regulation and Noise Control (Motor Vehicles) Regulation. Your application should be sent to the Environmental Protection Department for approval with all of the requested supporting documents. Proof of compliance can include documents that have been issued by an approved laboratory test or the emission testing report. Any questions regarding this part of the process can be sent to the different departments that deal with exhaust emissions, noise emissions, or other:

Environmental Protection Department
(852)2877 0448 (Exhaust emission)
(852)2411 9665 (Noise emission)
Email: enquiry@epd.gov.hk

Although an importer must submit an accurate and completed declaration with the Customs and Excise Department within 14 days of importation, vehicles are not subject to any actual Customs tax. This can be lodged at one of the service centers set up by the service providers and their partners. For additional information regarding the electronic lodgement service, or to register, you can call:

Brio Electronic Commerce Ltd
852 2111 1288

Global e-Trading Services Ltd
852 8201 0082

Tradelink Electronic Commerce Ltd
852 2599 1700

Customs and Excise Department
General enquiry: 852 2815 7711
Customs hotline: 852 2545 6182

You should also submit an Import Return Form and Declaration Form to the Customs and Excise Department. You can also do this through the Motor Vehicles First Registration Tax System. This must be done within 30 days of importing your vehicle. For more information on this, visit: https://eservices.customs.gov.hk/FRT/locale.action?request_locale=en

If you do not file the import return on time, then it is considered an offense. The fine, if convicted, is HK$500,000 and a possible imprisonment of 12 months. Once you submit your Import Return a “Notification of Motor Vehicle Provisional Taxable Value” will be sent to you from the Customs and Excise Department. You will have to show this when you register your vehicle with the Transport Department.

When your vehicle arrives in Hong Kong, you must visit the Vehicle Examination Centre in order to get your vehicle examined. You will need to take the Environmental Protection Department’s approval letter with you at this time. You will also need to pay for the vehicle examination fee. All cars will be given a smoke test and then issued with a Certificate of Roadworthiness by the Examination Centre if it passed the exam. For more information regarding the vehicle examination and requirements, visit: www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/vehicle_examination/vehicle_examination/index.html.

Transport Department
Tel: (852) 2804 2600
Email: tdenq@td.gov.hk

When you apply for registration, you will need to deliver a completed application to the Hong Kong Licensing Office of Transport Department. When your documents are verified, you will have to pay the registration tax and fee, as well as the license fee and the levy for the Traffic Accident Victim Assistance Fund. The registration tax will depend upon a few factors such as the taxable value and the class of vehicle. If the vehicle is a left hand drive one, then applications will not be accepted unless special circumstances are given.

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.