±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Insurance, FX and international movers

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Education and Schools

India - Education and Schools

India has a number of government, semi-government and private schools in almost every part of country. Most of the schools are either affiliated with Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or with local state boards. There are some schools that offer education on the pattern of GCE 'O' levels or IGCSE 'A' levels; one may contact the British Council for details.

Foreigners prefer to come to India for their studies because of affordable education costs and the excellent scenic beauty available there. There are some very good boarding schools on hill stations of Mussoorie, Dalhousie etc. that impart education on the British level ICSE pattern. Most of the schools offer a range of co-curricular activities like games and sports, theatre, dance and music, gymnasium and cyber cafes.

However if someone wants to come to India on the study visa then the following formalities must be taken care of:

- A letter confirming one's admission to a recognized institute must accompany the application form.
- Evidence of financial arrangements for stay in India must be given.
- A letter of Approval or NOC from the Ministry of Health, government of India is required for admission to medical or para-medical courses.
- A letter of Approval or NOC from the Ministry of HRD is required for admission to graduate or post-graduate courses in engineering/ technical institutions in India.
- The student visa is valid for the period of study in India.

Submitted March 2007 by Monica:
I feel your guide should mention Excelsior American School, Gurgaon - an upcoming school with an international environment and methodology . A must visit for expats because I know how much trouble I had in trying to find a good school for my children when I came to India from the US.

Submitted June 2009 by Dave:
I'm an American working for American Express in Gurgaon. A popular school for those living outside Delhi, in Gurgaon (DLF area) is American Public School (http://www.americanpublicschool.com/). My children go there and really enjoy it.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.