±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Work Permits

Italy - Work Permits

Nationals of EU member countries who wish to live and work in Italy may do so for up to three months by providing a declaration of presence on Italian territory at the local police station. Those who intend to remain in the country beyond three months can apply for residency (iscrizione anagrafica) at the nearest town hall, following which a certificate (attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica) is issued. During the time of registration, they are required to show evidence that they live or work, and have adequate financial means and health insurance. The certificate has a validity period of five years from the date of issue. EU nationals may apply for permanent residency after five years.

Non-EU nationals require an entry visa, a residence permit and a work permit in order to work in Italy.

Citizens of non-EU member states can enter Italy only with an entry visa. Those who hold visas for any of the member states of the Schengen Agreement do not need a special entry visa. The entry visa carries details about the reason for a person’s stay in Italy and also the duration.

Another requirement for non-EU nationals to work in the country is the residence permit. This permit must be applied for within eight days of residence in Italy at the latest and it must be in accordance with the purpose stated in the entry visa. Application for residence permit can be done at the local Police Headquarters. A receipt will be issued upon application and after an approximate processing time of one week, the application will either be accepted or rejected.

The intended purpose of the residence permit can be changed only after the concerned Police Headquarters receives indication from the Ministry of Labor, the Ministry of Economics and the Ministry of Interior. This may be done in case an individual wishes to change his or her status from employee to self-employed businessperson.

All individuals who do not hold citizenship of Italy or any other EU member state are granted equal access to the Italian job market. A work permit is a necessary document in this regard. To obtain a work permit, the residence permit that indicates the purpose of one’s stay, must be produced at the local Labor Office. With the work permit, a foreign national will be able to enter into different types of labor contracts, and also register at the Italian Board of Trade.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.