Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Registration, Permits and Other Documentation

London - Registration, Permits and Other Documentation

It is not necessary for expats to register with any particular organisation upon arrival in London. All visas and work permits must be secured prior to arrival. Information regarding the different types of visas available, how to apply for a visa, and the cost of visas can be found on the Home Office's UK Border Agency web site: www.ukvisas.gov.uk.

A National Identity Scheme was introduced in 2008. ID cards for foreign nationals became available in 2008, and British citizens should be issued with ID cards in 2009. To be eligible for an ID card, you must be over the age of 16 and have been a resident of the U.K. for at least three months. The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) is responsible for issuing ID cards. Information about ID cards, including how to apply for one, can be found at the following web site: www.ips.gov.uk/identity.

It may be necessary for some expats to apply for a National Insurance Number (NIN) before starting work or claiming public benefits. Information about NINs can be found at the official web site for the Department of Work and Pensions.

Directgov (www.direct.gov.uk) is a very useful web site that provides information on a variety of public services available in the U.K., including employment, taxes, health services, education, and motoring, among many others. Links to local councils and registry offices, where expats can obtain parking permits and register marriages, births, and deaths, can be found on the Directgov web site.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

AXA - Global Healthcare

As the global healthcare specialists for AXA, the world’s number one insurance brand, we can help you get fast access to expert medical care, whenever and wherever you need it. All our plans include evacuation and repatriation, a second medical opinion service and extra support from a dedicated case manager if you’re diagnosed with cancer. You’ll also have 24/7 support from our caring multilingual team - we’ll always remember you’re a person, not a case number.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.