±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· How To Make The Most Of Your Retirement Abroad
· Expat Focus Financial Update September 2017
· 10 Things To Think About Before You Move Abroad In Your Middle Age
· Expat Focus Financial Update August 2017
· What Could Higher Interest Rates Mean For Your Overseas Property Purchase?
· Expat Focus Financial Update July 2017
· The Lifestyles And Cultures Of Great Expat Locations
· Understanding Exchange Rates for Your Overseas Property Purchase
· Interview With Duncan Khoury, Head of Marketing, World First Australia
Car RentalBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Malaysia - Car Rental
Each car rental company has their own requirements for renting a car, yet the road laws of Malaysia still apply. Documentation has to be in order to avoid any penalties. Penalties are tough and can even result in a jail sentence.
Many expats hire a car at the airport to take them to where they are going to live and the rules for renting a car are standard across the board. The following documentation is required to rent a car from most international companies:
- A current driving license. To drive in Malaysia you can drive on a license from any European country, any state from the United States and any Asian driver’s license. Additional drivers will also be required to provide a driving license
- A valid credit card which is in the name of the holder of the person who will be the named driver
- Telephone number.
Please note: People who are visiting from nearby Singapore cannot hire a car in Singapore and drive into Malaysia because of Malaysia’s strict foreign car laws. Visitors from Singapore should take public transport into the country and then hire a car within Malaysia.
To hire a car in Malaysia a person must be 23-years old and over. You must have held your license for no less than a year.
It is advisable to study the driving laws in Malaysia before renting a car and driving.
With your car hire agreement, there will be breakdown assistance inclusive in the cost and you will be provided with the telephone number to contact in the event of a breakdown.
Malaysia has an extensive toll-road network and you will be given maps and vouchers and some car hire companies may well include the cost of the major toll roads in your car rental cost.
Most confirmations of car rentals will be completed in around twenty minutes. You will be able to arrange where you will collect the car and the drop-off point of the car at the end of the agreement.
Where to Rent a Car in Malaysia
Major airports such as Penang and Kuala Lumpur have international and local car hire desks in the arrival halls. There are many names which you will recognize.
In Kuala Lumpur
Car rental is a popular way to get a feel for a country and will get you used to the road laws and in particular if you have come from a left-hand drive car you can get used to driving on the left hand side of the road and driving a right-hand car.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.