±A - Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Our monthly newsletter contains health and financial news, expat articles, social media recommendations and more.
±A - Join Our Community
±A - Read Our Guide
±A - Compare Quotes and Save
±A - Listen to the Podcast
±A - Expert Financial
±A - ExpatFocus Partners
Taking Your PetsBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Portugal - Taking Your Pets
- EU Pet Passport (for pets arriving from EU countries). In order for the EU Pet Passport to be issued, the pet must be micro-chipped and vaccinated against rabies.
- Proof of rabies vaccination within 15 days prior to date of arrival if coming from a non-EU country.
- International Certificate of Health from an accredited veterinarian (in the US known as USDA Form 7001) if coming from a non-EU country.
- Micro-chipping details if coming from a non-EU country.
- Fitness To Fly certificate if arriving by air (required by most airlines).
Added March 2007 by Kerstin:
Readers might be interested in knowing that some dogs, classed as "potentially dangerous" need a special licence.
We're thinking about moving to Portugal and have found out that like Spain, we have to complete a lot, no seriously, a lot of paperwork! So different from Ireland where we bought a licence from the post office!
Law is quoted on this site:
Read more about this country
Expat Health Insurance Partners
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.