±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

Rome - Registration, Permits & Other Documentation

Click here to go to this city guide's homepage

If you are planning to to re-locate to Rome, or any other part of Italy, from a non-European country, you will need to secure a Permesso di Soggiorno or permit to stay. This form has an expiration date and is renewable for your first six years living in Italy. Applications for your permit to stay can be obtained at the post office, trade union, or municipality office. You must obtain the application, in person, within eight days of arriving in Italy. It may take up to three months for your application to be approved.

Permits to stay can be obtained for many different reasons. The most common permits are for work and marriage to an Italian citizen. However, permits to stay can also be obtained by those who want to set up residence, but are not planning on working in Italy.

After your sixth year of residence in Italy, you will then need to secure a Carta di Soggiorno, or Non-European permanent residence card.

For European residents planning to re-locate to Italy, a Carta di Soggiorno Cittadini U.E., or European citizens permanent residence card, is required.

If you are a non-European citizen, planning to re-locate, you will need to secure a visa before entering Italy. The kind of visa you will need is determined by your reason of re-location. Your visa application must be completed, and turned into the Italian Embassy in your home country, prior to relocation. Below are embassy links for non-European citizens wishing to re-locate to Italy:

United States: www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/ambasciata_washington

Canada: www.ambottawa.esteri.it/ambasciata_ottawa

Australia: www.ambcanberra.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Canberra

New Zealand: www.ambwellington.esteri.it/ambasciata_wellington

South Africa: www.ambpretoria.esteri.it/ambasciata_pretoria

European citizens need a current and valid passport, the date of arrival in Italy, and information for spouse and any dependent family members seeking residence in Italy. If you are currently employed, you must provide proof of employment from your employer or authorization from the Chamber of Commerce if you are self-employed. Four recent passport photographs are also required.

For more information on these permits and requirements, visit the links listed below.



You can also call 800.309.309 to obtain more information. This call center is open 24 hours a day and operators are English speaking.

United States driver's licenses are not recognized in Italy. So, if you plan on obtaining a vehicle, or driving in Rome, you will be required to obtain an International Driving Permit before leaving the United States. To obtain an Italian drivers license, you must go through Italy's driver's license process. For more information, please visit the following websites.



Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.