±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Utilities (Electricity, Gas, Water, Household Waste)

Rome - Utilities (Electricity, Gas, Water, Household Waste)

Click here to go to this city guide's homepage

Before you can apply for utility connections for your apartment or villa in Rome, you will need to obtain a codice fiscale (tax code) from the provincial tax office (Ufficio delle Entrate) in Via Santa Caterina d'Alessandria.

Often, if you are renting an apartment or villa, the utilities will be included in the rental contract, and the landlord will itemize charges for utilities at the end of the year. You will need to ensure that the previous tenant has properly cancelled their contract, and make sure that there are no extra charges on the previous tenant's last bill.

If the previous tenant has not cancelled their contract, you will need to work with your landlord to have the accounts transferred. This will save you substantial time and effort over establishing new accounts.

ENEL is the national electricity company of Italy, and provides all of the electrical service for Rome. To set up a new contract with ENEL, call 800 900 800, or visit the nearest ENEL office. You can find more information about ENEL at /www.enel.it. In addition to your codice fiscale, you will need to provide an identification document, the client number of the previous tenant, the current meter reading, the amount of power required, the address to which the contract and bills should be sent, and your bank information if paying via direct debit. Once your account is established, you can manage your account at www.enel.it.

Gas is typically used for heating, water heating, and cooking appliances in Rome. The gas market has been deregulated, so you are free to choose your own provider. The three main gas service providers are as follows:

ENEL: www.enel.it or 800 900 800
VIVAGAS: 800 151 313
ITALGAS: 800 900 700

You will need to provide your codice fiscal, the registration number of the gas meter, the name of the previous tenant or owner if possible, and your name and account details.

You can also purchase bottled gas (bomboli) at supermarkets and petrol stations for small cookers and heaters. The cost of water service is almost always included in the fees if you are renting an apartment or villa, so you will likely not have to do anything to obtain water service. However, if you do have to establish water service, keep in mind that each area has its own service company. You will need to provide the local water service company with your codice fiscale and your identification document. To find the water service supplier for your area, call 06 5799 5799.

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.