Get useful expat articles, health and financial news, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

Immigration and Visas

Trinidad and Tobago - Immigration and Visas

Citizens of the European Union do not require a visa to simply enter Trinidad and Tobago. Those from any other country should check with their local Trinidadian embassy to ensure that they have the correct documentation in place before making their journey. Residents of some countries may be able to go through a process to obtain a visa waiver, although this can cost several hundred dollars.

Residents of some Far Eastern countries or some in Eastern Europe will not be eligible for the visa waiver and should ensure that they do not try to enter Trinidad and Tobago without the relevant documentation as they would just be sent home. In order to apply for an entry visa applicants require the completed visa application form, a valid passport, a passport photograph, the local address where they will be staying (address of friend/family member or hotel) and a proof of return ticket. They must also be able to show that they have a good reason for visiting the country. The cost of applying for a visa can also be several hundred dollars.

Anybody who intends to do any kind of work related activity while they are in the country, regardless of whether or not it is paid work, must be in possession of a valid work permit if they intend to remain for more than 30 days. Stays of less than 30 days may be without a work permit, but a person is only allowed one such stay in any 12 month period.

If applying for a work permit, it is necessary to have a medical certificate if you plan to stay in the country for more than one year. Those who are in possession of a Certificate of Recognition of a Caribbean Community Skills Qualification that has been issued in Trinidad and Tobago will not require a work permit, though this status must be certified by the Department of Immigration.

Work permits are only issued to a named person and for work relating to a specific company or organisation. As such, it is a good idea to ensure that you have a firm offer of employment before you make your application. The company intending to employ you can make this application on your behalf, which must be sent to the Ministry of National Security and all applications are subject to approval. All work permits are subject to a fee, which may be in the region of $2000, but this is variable. It may be the case that your employer will pay this but you will need to check with them before the application is made.

Read more about this country

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

AXA - Global Healthcare

As the global healthcare specialists for AXA, the world’s number one insurance brand, we can help you get fast access to expert medical care, whenever and wherever you need it. All our plans include evacuation and repatriation, a second medical opinion service and extra support from a dedicated case manager if you’re diagnosed with cancer. You’ll also have 24/7 support from our caring multilingual team - we’ll always remember you’re a person, not a case number.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.