Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hong Kong - Vehicle Inspection, Maintenance, Repairs and Breakdown Recovery

All vehicles over 6 years old must take a Certificate of Roadworthiness Examination (COR), according to Hong Kong government transport regulations. This examination must be fulfilled at a designated Car Testing Centre. This test is designed to check the car’s general safety and road worthiness, as well as its level of emissions. The fuel system, tires, wheels, brakes, steering, lights, and suspension are all checked and tested.

There are several licensed testing centers located throughout Hong Kong. Many of these are open on the weekends, on holidays, and during the evening hours for greater convenience. To see a list of government sanctioned examination centers, visit:

For general information on vehicle inspections and regulations, visit the Transport Department’s website at:

Transport Department
Tel: (852) 2804 2600

You can make an appointment up to 4 months in advance to ensure that your vehicle meets the required deadline. You will receive a Vehicle Examination Appointment that will confirm the date, appointment time, and proof of fee payment. The test itself can be booked and paid for online. The registration documents, vehicle, and the appointment letter must all be taken to the testing site. It is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour before the scheduled appointment time.

If the vehicle passes the examination, the Certificate of Roadworthiness (COR) will be issued which is valid for a year. If the vehicle does not pass the exam, a Vehicle Repair Order will be issued. You must then make a new appointment to retest the vehicle within 14 days at the same testing site. You will be asked to pay a new fee unless the failed item is classified as "Defect will not be subject to re-examination fee."

There are many companies throughout Hong Kong that can service your vehicle and provide roadside assistance should you break down while driving. In many cases, your car insurance will provide coverage for this, as long as you have full coverage. Although it might not cover the cost of labor or parts, the insurance policy could cover the cost of towing. For that reason, it’s very important to become familiar with your policy’s information.

The Automobile Association (AA) in Hong Kong costs around HK$600 per year to join and members receive free towing. This is one association that many people in Hong Kong who drive private vehicles belong to. In addition to roadside service, they offer many other services including information on rental cars, car insurance, and even travel incentives.

Hong Kong Automobile Association
Membership Tel : 3583-3615

It is expected that vehicles in Hong Kong will remain in good repair and maintenance. Attention is increasingly being placed on vehicles that are environmentally friendly and some incentives exist for those who drive such vehicles. The larger mechanics throughout Hong Kong should have a basic understanding of English. Asking other expats, or co-workers, for recommendations regarding mechanics can be helpful in finding one that is reliable and inexpensive.

If your vehicle breaks down while you are driving it, you should call 999 to inform authorities that your vehicle has had problems and is blocking traffic or in a dangerous position.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy