Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hong Kong - Property Search

Finding the property you want in Hong Kong can be overwhelming and frustrating thanks to the sheer size of Hong Kong and the number of different areas. Most buyers enlist the help of a real estate agent when it comes to searching for properties to buy in Hong Kong, although you can certainly look on your own as well. A licensed real estate agent, however, will ensure that you’re finding the available properties that are most attractive to you and can assist in the legal and official work of the sale.

If you are employing the assistance of a real estate agent then it is important to use a licensed one. To see if an agent is licensed, or to search for one, you can use the License List on the Estate Agents Authority (EAA) website. The searches can be made using the agent’s name or license number.

Real Estate Agents Authority
48/F, Hopewell Centre, 183 Queen's Road East Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2111 2777

Before signing a provisional agreement for sale and purchase with a landlord, your real estate agent should provide you with a copy of the latest land search record and a Property Information Form. This information should include any existing encumbrances, year built, ownership information, and any user restrictions of the property. The real estate agent should do the land search, assuming the property is registered. You can also ask a surveyor to do this for you.

The Land Registry-Public Services
Queensway Government Offices
28th Floor
66 Queensway
Hong Kong
Tel: 852 3105 0000

Once you enter into an agreement with a real estate agent, you must still pay their commission if you purchase a property during the period of the contract’s validity. If you view a property through your agent and then purchase the property from the landlord, for instance, then you will still be required to pay the agent’s fee.

There are various websites that can help you get a feel for what is currently available in Hong Kong. Websites such as Hong Kong Homes and Squarefoot have available listings in Hong Kong. These websites allow you to search for available properties by price and location. You might also look at recent market trends on Squarefoot to see properties that have sold recently and what the purchase price was on these properties.

A good estate agent should be able to show you properties all over the city, although they might be more likely to show you the available properties in their area. If you know which area you would rather live in then it might be suggested that you look for an existing agent in that area. If not, then ensure that the agent is comfortable and willing to show you areas on the other side of town before making a commitment to them.

Some expats find that they are able to find what they need in older buildings while others prefer new developments. In some of the newer developments you are more likely to find other amenities such as gyms and swimming pools. However, the square footage is often smaller. In older buildings, there tend to be fewer amenities but the space can be larger and the price can be lower. It is generally recommended that potential buyers check out several properties before committing to one.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy