Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free
Insurance, FX and international movers
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Malaysia - Registration and Residency

Any individual who will be staying in Malaysia for less than 90 days who is a citizen of the United Kingdom or the United States of America will not need to obtain a visa or register on arrival if their visit is for social or business reasons.

For longer periods of residency, visas are required. You can find all of the information about what you will be required to provide in order to be issued with a visa by going to the visa and the work permit sections of this guide.

Permanent Residency

If you want to make a further commitment to Malaysia, but do not want to give up your citizenship elsewhere, you could apply for permanent residency. Upon becoming a permanent resident you will be issued with an Entry Permit and Idenitification Card (MyPR). You will then be allowed to reside in Malaysia for as long as you want to, work in the country and buy property freely without having to trouble yourself with fulfilling visa requirements.

A ten year visa is not the same as having permanent residency, and just because you have lived in Malaysia for 10 years, it does not mean that you are eligible to apply for it. People who are eligible to apply for permanent residency are listed below:

- High net worth individuals: People who have a minimum of US$ 2 million Fixed Deposit in a Malaysian bank. This sum needs to remain in the Malaysian bank account for at least five years. This individual, along with their spouse and children, will be eligible to apply for permanent resident status after they have been living in Malaysia for at least 5 years. Applications should be submitted to the Immigration Department.
- Highly talented and highly skilled individuals: These are people whose skills are considered "world class" by any international organisation and who are personally recommended by an organisation. To apply for permanent residency in this category, applicants must submit a Good Conduct report from their home country that should be submitted with their application to the Immigration Department.
- Professionals: These are individuals who are considered to have outstanding skills in their chosen field. Before applying for residency, applicants must be recommended by a relevant organisation in Malaysia and must submit a Good Conduct report from their home country. Applications should be submitted to the Immigration Department
- Spouse of a Malaysian Citizen: Any person married to a Malaysian citizen may apply for permanent residency after they have been married for at least five years. The spouse must also have been living in Malaysia for five years before applying. The applicant must already have a Long Term Visit Pass and have one Malaysian sponsor. Applications should be made to the Immigration Department

For more accurate and up to date information about obtaining permanent residency in Malaysia, visit the Immigration Department’s website by following this link:

U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
Consular Section
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 2168-4997
Fax: +60 3 2148-5801

UK Embassy Kuala Lumpur
Consular Section
185 Jalan Ampang
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +6 03 2170 2200
Fax: +6 03 2170 2390

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy